Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Alice, Sweet Alice” (1976)- anyone else find this movie extra creepy?

The 70s in general could be such an eerie time, but this film has a very dark and creepy atmosphere throughout. The final shot of the film is pretty creepy, too.

I remember them showing this movie on TV late when I was a kid and my mom wouldn’t let me watch. I snuck and watched some and it terrified me. I turned it off. Years later I watched it and found it to be an underrated slasher film, but super creepy.

Why is it titled “The Mask Murders”? Did the name get changed over the years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2024 6:50 PM

Totally, OP

That bleak NJ setting-

The film stock

The creepy fat man

The creepy actors-

Its bleak as balls.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2022 2:47 AM

R1 yes. You’re right. And that NJ setting. Very unsettling. That same area is probably all skyscrapers on 2022

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2022 2:58 AM

Another eerie 70s flick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2022 3:29 AM

Yes, very scary, proving you don't need big stars or a big budget when it's done right.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2022 3:32 AM

Who said you need big stars for slasher flicks?

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2022 3:33 AM

The fat, bald neighbor with the stained pants seriously creeped me out when I was little.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2022 3:42 AM

It's been years since I've seen it but now I want to go watch it. As someone else above said, the creepy 70s film stock really adds to the experience.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2022 4:09 AM

The recent remastered bluray gave me a whole new appreciation for this movie - it’s actually beautifully filmed!

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2022 4:12 AM

R8 that is what you’re seeing in the OP. It’s the Blu-ray quality entire movie

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2022 4:14 AM

Love it. It's so '70s black-comedy gimmicky, gritty and campy. And I think the mother's sister who comes to stay with and "help" the family for a while, is certainly Datalounge material. :)

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2022 4:16 AM

It doesn’t feel like a dark comedy at all.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2022 4:22 AM

Maybe it's just the make-up/lighting, but each of the actors looks vaguely ghoulish.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2022 4:25 AM

Wasn’t it normal back then for white people to be pale? Most didn’t get tans like now

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2022 4:29 AM

Movies like this can make your stomach hurt

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2022 3:30 PM

And Brooke gets first billing in the titles?

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2022 4:17 PM

yes, it got renamed just as all recorded musicals are now known as slime tutorials. One part skirting around other nation's laws, another part because of translation, and another because of cultural necessity - among some nations, particularly where literacy (and in turn, comprehension) ws low, it's more common place to describe the plot in the title... of course, there are other nations, where one was expected to be poetical and have inanely long titles but most of the latter conformed to rest of the world and went shorter.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2022 4:25 PM

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane was much creepier...

likely benign to people afraid of masks and require boogiemen, spooks and scares...

vs

an everyday brat from your neighborhood; a matter of circumstances, unchecked mental health and community apathy. . .

which is why we rather need to adopt more public boarding schools, if it was good enough for the natives, it should be good enough for the rest of America's snotnosed, germ spreading, little bastards.

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2022 4:30 PM

I can't wait for a Broadway musical version.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2022 12:57 AM

You’re very odd r18

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2022 12:59 AM

It couldn't be worse than Prada, r19.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2022 1:01 AM

R16 what a weird and unnecessary long ramble.

by Anonymousreply 21July 31, 2022 1:01 AM

The creepiest thing ever filmed in Paterson - other than the evening news.

That movie had so many titles, including Communion.

BTW co-star Linda Miller was the daughter of Jackie Gleason, the ex-wife of Jason Miller and the mother of Jason Patric

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 31, 2022 1:14 AM

r21 Is this your first time online? Does your mommy know you're here?

by Anonymousreply 23July 31, 2022 2:13 AM

The Broadway musical version will be entitled "Put On A Happy Face!"

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2022 2:42 AM

Are these the fembots from The Bionic Woman 👩 ?

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2022 2:46 AM

My best friend and I watched it about twelve years ago, and were tickled to death by Kay Kyser's 'Three Little Fishes,' which is played in the film. We'd never heard it before, and were amazed at the apparent bathroom humor of the refrain, which sounded like

'Poop-poop, did 'em, dat 'em - wet 'em, too

And he swam and he swam all over the dam.'

Overall, the most creepy thing to me was the all-pervasive Catholicism of the characters and community depicted in the film. I'm not from 'Catholic World,' so it was the most alien thing in the film to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2022 2:57 AM

R26 - You've totally NAILED IT and beat me to so many of the same observations! WELL DONE!!

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2022 6:09 AM

What is the deeper meaning of this film? What does it all mean? I've watched it many times, and am fascinated by it. But what is it saying?

by Anonymousreply 28August 1, 2022 1:18 AM

What is any slasher film saying?

by Anonymousreply 29August 1, 2022 1:42 AM

I think, r29, that they're saying "You think *you* got it bad?".

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2022 1:46 AM

[quote]And Brooke gets first billing in the titles?

It was redistributed after Brooke got famous and the titles were altered to give her top billing, even though her character is extremely minor.

The actress playing "Alice" was 20! No wonder she was so damn creepy.

Also, wtf is this trailer?! "Alice was too old to play with dolls, and too young to make love"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2022 2:00 AM

R31 it was the 70s. Things were not like they are now.

“Licorice Pizza” situations were common back then.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2022 2:09 AM

20, r31...20??? OMG, I have to go back and look. I had wondered if they'd altered the titles later.

quote]"Alice was too old to play with dolls, and too young to make love"

At least she wasn't high school honor student by day, Hollywood hooker by night. Any love for Homebodies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2022 2:10 AM

The actress was born in 1957. The movie was filmed in 1975. She was 17 going on when they started filming. She turned 18 while filming. She was 19 when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2022 2:20 AM

[quote]R15 And Brooke gets first billing in the titles?

i think that was only when they rereleased it under a new title, years later, after Shields had become famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2022 2:25 AM

OK, r34. I went back and watched a bit. 17 makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2022 2:30 AM

It was originally titled “Communion” when originally released in 1976 (and that was the title in London as well). In 1977 it was acquired by Allied Artists and changed to “Alice, Sweet Alice” upon its re-release. And then in 1981 it was re-released again due to Brooke Shields new fame as “Holy Terror” with Brooke Shields getting top billing.

At some point it was “The Mask Murders” down the line.

It is mostly known as “Alice, Sweet Alice” in modern day

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2022 2:31 AM

The Director and Writer of this movie, Alfred Sole, died a few months ago at 78.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2022 2:36 AM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2022 2:38 AM

Creepy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2022 3:12 AM

This has been a longtime favorite of mine, and is probably in my top 10 favorite horror films. I saw it as a kid (rented from a Hollywood Video--remember those?) and never forgot it. It's elegant despite its budget limitations, and full of weird idiosyncrasies and bizarre characters (the obese pedo and the hysterical, constantly-yelling aunt are unforgettable). I was ecstatic when Arrow Video released it on Blu-ray some years ago—it has never looked better. The musical score in it is especially haunting, though I'm 99% sure it was aped from the score for "Klute" (1971).

by Anonymousreply 41August 6, 2022 7:13 AM

It's prime giallo.

by Anonymousreply 42August 6, 2022 12:39 PM

This is nothing like Giallo. They used glamour as part of the mystique

by Anonymousreply 43August 6, 2022 2:33 PM

This is another film that could never be made nearly as effective in modern day.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2024 6:08 PM

The Boomers hated kids. Lots of Devil-baby movies in the 70s. They finally started producing Millennial brats of their own in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2024 6:47 PM

Is Leonard Maltin posting here now?

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2024 6:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!