Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jay Leno files for conservatorship over wife due to her advanced Alzheimer's

This is so sad. My grandmother died after a long battle with this horrible disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 7, 2024 3:56 AM

Horrible, this is why we should have euthanasia. And can we please hurry up with that Alzheimer's cure already?

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2024 1:32 PM

I thought a legal spouse was already in charge of their spouse's estate. Why does he have to file for a conservatorship?

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2024 1:33 PM

Just goes to show ya -- money doesn't buy happiness.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2024 1:35 PM

R1, I was talking about that with the husband just a couple of days ago. ALL the money given over so many decades for cancer and Alzheimer's. The periodic potential cures we hear of that "researchers" have discovered and, yet, nothing, nada ever seems to emerge. We got a vaccine for a global pandemic never seen before in less than a year. And yet, the staggering amount of money that has gone into finding cures for these ailments... they dangle a carrot in front of us from time to time but nothing ever comes of it.

Makes you wonder if there's anything more at play. I'm no conspiracy theorist but I honestly wonder about those things; if cures are being stifled due to the massive number of people and resources that now rely on all that public and private funding.

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2024 1:36 PM

Some diseases are more complex than others. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2024 1:43 PM

Oh, man. This is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2024 1:45 PM

r4 That's just the nature of medical research, unfortunately. HIV vaccines had a horrible 2023 as well, so many promising ones failed. We're not exactly back to square one, but it'll take time. I admit that the older I get, the more envious I am of the future generations who'll have access to all the amazing therapeuticals yet to be discovered. I had to have my body mutilated over some cancer they'll have taken care of with an injection in one afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2024 1:46 PM

I realize that R5. But how many years now and how much money? Shouldn't there be SOME therapy developed that would help manage these diseases a little better? Anything a little better than what we have? And cancer especially is complex but it seems like something would have broken by now to help slow the advancement. Even the best stuff we have now barely work.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2024 1:48 PM

So sorry to hear that R7. Really. That sucks. Not having kids I sometimes feel a little bitter about the argument that we're supposed to give money or pay more taxes to help "our children" and the "next generation" when I wish we could see, and focus on the here and now a little more often then we do.

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2024 1:50 PM

There have been significant improvements in cancer outcomes. It’s Alzheimer’s that really hasn’t changed.

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2024 1:51 PM

40 years of marriage and NO KIDS? Some of Jay’s friends and fans would prefer to have Mavis locked up and their marriage annulled.

Never really cared for Jay, he and his humor were too smarmy. It was when I learned he was closer to MAGA nation I really started to actively dislike him.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2024 1:51 PM

There are new treatments for cancer, though. My cousin has a specific kind of breast cancer that is linked to estrogen and they're treating it by targeting her estrogen with some kind of medication. No chemo, no radiation. She's doing great, and the cancer has not progressed at all even though it had metastasized to her spine.

So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2024 1:51 PM

R11 Jay and his wife made a conscious decision not to have children. He’s talked about this in interviews. Not my favorite talk show host but I respect him for saying that.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2024 1:58 PM

There are also new treatments for Alzheimer’s.

One complication is several conditions cause dementia and you can’t know which one a person has until a post-mortem . My father was diagnosed with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, but it turned out to be Lewy Body dementia which was not widely recognized at the time. It’s what killed Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2024 2:03 PM

He's vile and obnoxious. She's clearly been demented for years, for being with him, period. I don't care about Republicans!

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2024 2:07 PM

R13, that’s great. I almost can admire that too. But the point I was trying to make is that there are members of his crowd that consider Mavis “not a real woman” since she hasn’t used her uterus the way God intended.

I’m not begrudging Jay his politics, it’s a free country after all. But he could have done much more, IMO, to moderate some of his MAGA followers with his smarmy, “common folk” humor.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2024 2:17 PM

The poor woman had to go through life with the name "Mavis." Hasn't she suffered enough?

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2024 3:47 PM

Dementia has been around for centuries. It will never be cured and neither will Alzheimer’s.

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2024 3:51 PM

R17 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2024 3:52 PM

Oh no! Anyway…

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2024 4:02 PM

Look, Mavis and Jay are NOT Republicans. Mavis was an academic feminist turned political activist/philanthropist

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2024 4:08 PM

I don't enjoy him as a performer.

He and his wife seem to have had a close marriage, and this is a devastating blow to any family. My heart goes out to him.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2024 4:09 PM

She was indeed a feminist activist and while I don’t know enough about Jay to determine his stance on it, he doesn’t seem like a feminist to me.

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2024 4:45 PM

R23, he was very proud of his wife and loved her. You should have seen him when he interviewed her on the Tonight Show

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2024 4:50 PM

He said he voted for Biden. He said his first vote in 1984 was for Mondale. He’s not a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2024 5:01 PM

Sad. She had a passion for reading.

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2024 5:14 PM

Leno owns a beautiful estate in Newport, RI (my homestate). He lives 'next door' to Judge Judy, which means about a half mile away. He and his wife are in Newport and the rest of RI quite often, usually trying out new restaurants. No one has ever said an unkind word about them - they are always kind and gracious to the restaurant staffs and the public who recognize them.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2024 5:29 PM

I never cared for Leno and never watched his show. He always kind of repulsed me.

But then I stumbled upon his YouTube channel about his love for vintage cars.

It's great. He's the real thing, very knowledgable and at home around the guys who restore old cars for a living.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2024 5:52 PM

I was gobsmacked to see - starting at 2:55 - Mavis accompanying Jay at the premiere of Jerry Seinfeld's new movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 9:48 AM

New treatment for early stage Alzheimer’s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2024 10:02 AM

Interesting that our red-tagged troll is on about Alzheimer’s and cancer since those are the parts of the NIH budget they gutted this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2024 10:07 AM

Also

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2024 10:21 AM

Jay is getting exactly what he deserves in life.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2024 10:21 AM

ElderLez, Mavis was diagnosed with advanced dementia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2024 10:29 AM

More from the red carpet event.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2024 10:30 AM

Yes, she wouldn’t be eligible for the new treatment. I was rebutting the talking point that no advances in Alzheimer’s had been made. Maybe you can’t see those posts?

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2024 10:33 AM

[quote] Yes, she wouldn’t be eligible for the new treatment. I was rebutting the talking point that no advances in Alzheimer’s had been made. Maybe you can’t see those posts?

And I thought you were responding to my post. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2024 11:23 AM

One of the problems with Alzheimer's treatments is compliance. My mother was prescribed Aricept, then Namenda and finally the Excelon patch. I was her live-in caretaker watching this carefully. She would start the first week's course and gradually became suspicious and eventually refuse, declaring herself fine and a better and more knowledgeable doctor than her own. I had the meds slapped out of my hand as I was beggingher to take them..

Excelon was the last resort. She found the patch on her shoulder the day after her MD had applied it and ripped it off screaming bloody murder.

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2024 2:30 PM

The (consistent) taking of prescribed meds is a universal problem, not just with Alzheimer's patients.

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2024 2:35 PM

.... and there's absolutely nothing about Alzheimer's symptamatology that make compliance worse than for the average BP, antidepressant, heart med, statin, etc. taker... 🙄

by Anonymousreply 40May 3, 2024 2:57 PM

And you are next, r33.

by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2024 6:50 PM

Jay has said he was a republican for the last couple of decades. I've never heard he voted for Mondale.

Half the time he said he was a moderate republican. If he voted for Biden that could've been a recent possibility.

I recall him doing something pro choice with his wife about 2 decades ago so I think he is a social liberal on many issues.

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2024 10:12 PM

R14, Robin Williams killed Robin Williams.

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2024 10:16 PM

R42, a lot of (former) republicans voted for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2024 10:18 PM

r33 What? Great wealth and a final act to live anyway he would choose?

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2024 10:58 PM

No conservatorship for her, I say!

Let the bitch twerk alongside Britney!!

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2024 11:01 PM

We tried Aricept and Namenda with my husband and they caused nighttime hallucinations and in-house wandering. We now have him on a pretty low (but still clinically effective) nightly dose of Prozac. The night stuff has dissipated. He sleeps more, but that is preferable to the kind of agitation (never angry or violent, just got up a lot throughout the night) he had. He gets up to pee (he’s 85–that’s normal—at 66 I get up at least once a night), but goes back to sleep. I’d rather have him awake for eight hours a day and content and upbeat than constantly getting up throughout the night. It’s a trade off—now I can get some sleep too instead of being hypervigilant and tense at 3 am. Yes, U’m on Prozac and Xanax myself.

Dolls, dolls, dolls!

by Anonymousreply 47May 7, 2024 3:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!