Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Challengers is a FLOP!

A $15 million box office with all the overhype and non-stop marketing using her as the headliner.

Having said that, it still dunks anything non-IP that little Chalamet has had top billing in. She’s a much bigger star than him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 16, 2024 8:29 AM

I fail to see any movie industry reporters calling these early results A FLOP!

Show us how this is a FLOP, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2024 2:04 PM

(Not the OP here)

The production cost of Challengers was an astonishing $55 million dollars. To break even, you normally need the box office to be 2 to 2.5 times the production cost of a film to account for advertising and the portion that goes to theater owners. So the breakeven is anywhere from $110 million to $137 million in box office revenue.

It's already a wide release in over 3,400 theaters and made $25 million WORLDWIDE in the first week, usually the best revenue week for a film. So it may be a Challenge for the film to break even at the theatrical box office before it goes to streaming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2024 2:17 PM

Zendaya gives the same performance in everything she does. She's an acting one-trick pony. It's a pretty good trick, but once you've seen it, there's no reason to keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2024 3:14 PM

Zendaya is not a box-office star. She can't open a movie. This is her second lead in a movie that has flopped--the first being Malcolm & Marie. Compare her to REAL movie stars like Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon and Barbra Streisand who would have opened a movie like Challengers with 2-3X the box-office. All of those stars were huge money makers by the time they were Zendaya's age. Zendaya was a supporting player in huge IP movies with big male stars, and somehow the media thought that she was a star, too. Wrong!

Sydney Sweeney is actually the breakout star of Euphoria. Her movie Anyone But You was a legitimate hit, unlike Challengers.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2024 3:18 PM

Box office number crunching is for cretins

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2024 3:24 PM

I wasn't gonna watch this whether it had 100% or 0% reviews. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever consciously read a review before watching a movie. I might have missed some classics if I had!

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2024 3:28 PM

This is an Amazon MGM film and they don’t particularly care if it does well in theaters because they will want Prime to be the primary delivery for its audience. The same thing happened with Saltburn, it bombed in theaters but Zoomers gobbled it up on Prime.

Amazon is doing this so they can have these statistics that say, “See? Your movie will bomb if we put it in theaters. Let’s just send it to Prime and you can at least brag you have a hit, and you will be able to get cast in studio garbage with a high salary.”

Challengers was not a commercial film. Luca Guadagnino has never made commercial films. He makes art house films. If Challengers was made by a studio, they would have insisted on famous people to be her costars, not Josh O’Connor or Mike Faist. Challengers is a “Zendaya wants street cred” film like Malcom & Marie (which was Netflix). Anything like this needs to go streaming day and date which is Amazon’s goal. Dismantle theatergoing be removing buzzy low to midbudget films that three decades ago would have been released by Polygram or Miramax as alternatives to studio garbage. Saltburn is exactly the type of film Miramax would have released in the 90s: Challengers would have been released by a second tier label like Hollywood Pictures.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2024 3:31 PM

a Razzie Award for Zendaya!

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2024 3:35 PM

OP, Wonka was a big hit for Chalamet

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2024 3:35 PM

Op what are you on about?

Stand down

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2024 3:36 PM

Op is a FLOP

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2024 3:41 PM

R9: Wonka is IP you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2024 3:44 PM

Additionally, Zendaya gets $10 million for Challengers, a film destined to bomb, is insane. She should only be getting this for straight to streaming in which case she is letting her image be used to sell subscriptions.

Disney needs Megara for live action Hercules, by all means give her ten million with backend, she could earn 50 million like Margot Robbie did for Barbie. But there is no point in paying her any amount of 8 figure money that is not a four quadrant IP blockbuster tentpole. She is not that kind of star.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2024 3:50 PM

I hope that Villeneuve has scrapped his plans for a Cleopatra movie starring Zendaya, because that would be a massive money loser.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2024 3:55 PM

Hot damn, DL. Someone new to hate!

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2024 3:59 PM

I would say this is a middle range result - not terrible, not great. They spent a ton promoting it, probably well over $20 million to get people to come. They were hoping for $20m but got $15m. The talk of streaming seems to be the new way to justify lower openings or lower box office results. As for Zendaya, she is a star with a following but it’s too early to call her a box office star. Challengers will be lucky to gross $45m in the US, well under its cost.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2024 4:00 PM

Poor Zendaya No Last Name!

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2024 4:01 PM

But... but... I was told by the Sea Cow that every song on the soundtrack was a BOP after BOP!

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2024 4:44 PM

They spent well over $20m to market this, closer to $40m. The media is desperate to save the box office so they have to pretend that a $15m opening weekend is a hit when we all know it's a flop.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2024 4:54 PM

Is that true that they want to do a Cleopatra film with her? They never learn.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2024 4:59 PM

meh 3 pasty white chicks in a movie about tennis. no wonder it flopped.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2024 5:02 PM

[Quote] it still dunks anything non-IP that little Chalamet has had top billing in. She’s a much bigger star than him.

Challengers BO says otherwise

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2024 5:05 PM

Her fans can't get into an R rated movie.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2024 5:05 PM

Most people her age don't even watch movies. She's old-fashioned.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2024 5:06 PM

They keep trying to make this girl become the next big thing. She is about to expire.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2024 5:08 PM

Next weekend’s drop will reveal if this movie has any legs.

And is it just me, or does Zendaya present as a teenager? I don’t get woman from her even though she is approaching 30.

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2024 5:14 PM

R16 it’s really hard for me to see an “MGM Amazon” movie in theaters because it will be available a few weeks to months after release I can’t watch it on Prime at no additional cost. It’s like a Netflix film in theaters, you are going for the theater experience more than the film because it’s going to be “like free” in a month or two.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2024 5:16 PM

R25 Exactly, unless she's fucking someone powerful behind the scenes, which I doubt, they're only willing to throw so many projects and money at you before they move on if you don't bring anything to table.

Other stars have gotten farther with less, faster.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2024 5:18 PM

R22, it's unwise to play tennis without deodorant.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2024 5:23 PM

R2 thank you for the breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2024 5:24 PM

While the film may never be a blockbuster, it is by no means a flop. Yes, it cost 55M and it may not recoup that at the box office but like most major releases, it has probably already been sold and resold in all kinds of markets throughout the world and it will more than make its investment after all is said and done.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2024 5:26 PM

That is the new business model but it seems like a stretch to call it a hit movie. It’s going to have one weekend at #1 and then will fade fast.

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2024 5:37 PM

Tashi, a former tennis prodigy turned coach, turned her husband into a champion. But to overcome a losing streak, he needs to face his ex-best friend and Tashi's ex-boyfriend.

Can hardly wait to see it!

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2024 5:58 PM

Challengers is not a. Flop. People like OP are desperate to paint every project with a black female star as a flop (Little Mermaid, Cowboy Carter) please stop it! There is room for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2024 6:10 PM

It had a better opening weekend than West Side Story ($10.5M) which also starred Mike Faist which was considered a major flop.

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2024 6:11 PM

Hopefully it isn't as boring as Call Me by Your Name

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2024 6:12 PM

[quote] Challengers is not a. Flop. People like OP are desperate to paint every project with a black female star as a flop (Little Mermaid, Cowboy Carter) please stop it! There is room for everyone.

Do shut up.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2024 6:12 PM

The tennis ball fucking scene looked a bit painful.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2024 6:39 PM

R37 FUCK YOU!

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2024 7:15 PM

R39- MARY!

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2024 7:17 PM

Fuck all you miserable cunts.

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2024 7:24 PM

Anyone But You only opened with 6 million r4. The movie had legs and became a hut over time. Way too early to compare them.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2024 7:27 PM

Yes, but Anyone But You had the benefit of opening over the Christmas holidays, which usually will bolster box office. Look at Wonka. Its first weekend wasn't gangbusters, but it hung in there because of the holiday. Challengers is coming up against the beginning of summer movies. It's DOA.

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2024 7:31 PM

Why should that poster shut up r37? Too many DL queens play this game every time someone with a drop of blackness does anything public. You are always ready to call them failures.

The race based threads aren’t lost on many of us.

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2024 7:32 PM

It does give Zendaya and Luca bragging rights to their highest openings (with the footnote that the advertising expense was hefty).

by Anonymousreply 45April 29, 2024 7:34 PM

[quote] Why should that poster shut up [R37]? Too many DL queens play this game every time someone with a drop of blackness does anything public. You are always ready to call them failures.The race based threads aren’t lost on many of us.

Do shut up.

by Anonymousreply 46April 29, 2024 7:37 PM

R48 FUCK YOU and all you haters. We bring up discrepancies in how success is measured because it’s a never ending battle with you bigots. Now, STOP TYPING!

by Anonymousreply 47April 29, 2024 8:01 PM

R47 Do fuck off you dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 48April 29, 2024 8:17 PM

OP Is an idiot

by Anonymousreply 49April 29, 2024 8:28 PM

It reminds me of the hype around “Don’t Worry Darling.” That movie opened to $19M but maxed out $45M in the US.

Granted “Challengers” has better reviews but I think the end gross will be the same in the US. Maybe it will do better overseas but we will find out.

by Anonymousreply 50April 29, 2024 8:37 PM

R2 how the fuck did this movie cost $55 million? Is it her salary? Cause if so, what a bust.

by Anonymousreply 51April 29, 2024 8:39 PM

I just looked it up. She got $10 million for this movie. Wow!

I can’t think of a movie she’s made where she’s warranted a $10 million salary.

by Anonymousreply 52April 29, 2024 8:41 PM

[quote] As for Zendaya, she is a star with a following but it’s too early to call her a box office star.

She's almost 28! If it hasn't happened yet, it's not going to. She has 2 more years before the prime roles start drying up and going to the new IT girls in their early 20s. Julia, Sandra, Reese and Barbra were already the biggest box-office stars in Hollywood by their late 20s. Barbra and Reese had already won Oscars. You can add Fonda and Dunaway to the mix, too. They all helmed classic films with box-office success.

by Anonymousreply 53April 29, 2024 8:57 PM

Re black female lead, Guadagnino, an Italian over 50 yo is trying to hard since he came to HW to give every female lead role to black actresses ( he even let Dakota Johnson down) and pairing them with white male.

by Anonymousreply 54April 29, 2024 8:58 PM

Meryl became a box office star after 30. There is not one set of rules.

I wish Zendaya the best.

by Anonymousreply 55April 29, 2024 9:08 PM

I don't think she'll ever reach the level of Julia Roberts and the likes. Julia Stiles level maybe.

by Anonymousreply 56April 29, 2024 9:11 PM

$10m and used the same facial expression throughout.

by Anonymousreply 57April 29, 2024 9:17 PM

Senile elder gay at r53 is comparing Barbara Streisand and Jane Fonda rose to stardom before I was born in the 1960s with Zendaya in 2024. The film environment , the world, technology and finance have massive changed in the last 60 years.

Why don’t you throw Lillian Gish or Mary Pickford into it.

by Anonymousreply 58April 29, 2024 10:46 PM

Amateurs .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 29, 2024 10:55 PM

[Verse] Movie flop

Klieg lights popped

Zendy not on top

Fading stars

They dropped

Skinny fashion plates

Timotay is a fop

Future's a sad hobo in Paris

Egg plops nonstop

[Verse 2] Everyone is bored

No more thrills to explore

Once shining like a star

Now nothing more than lore

The fame and fortune couldn't last

It was just a score

Now we're left with memories of a time that's no more

[Chorus] Fading stars on the boulevard

Lost in the dark

Once ruling the world

Now just a distant spark

Oh The glamour and the glitz

They used to be our mark

But now we're left with broken dreams and a fading heart

by Anonymousreply 60April 29, 2024 10:58 PM

oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 29, 2024 10:58 PM

I could be wrong but I think Jane Fonda’s top film was “9 to 5” when she was in her 40’s.

by Anonymousreply 62April 29, 2024 11:06 PM

Jane Fonda could act. This cunt is vapid.

by Anonymousreply 63April 29, 2024 11:20 PM

^ Takes one ta....

by Anonymousreply 64April 30, 2024 12:16 AM

Just like Ratboy’s fans, Zendaya’s fans are delusional and can’t face the music. In all regards this is a FLOP. $50M+ to produce plus $50M to market plus all the press events Zendays has done over the past couple of weeks. This film won’t even recoup let alone profit. The hype never lives up to the reality.

by Anonymousreply 65April 30, 2024 1:06 AM

OP is Matt Anscher

He’s on disability for craziness

And he is so ugly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 30, 2024 1:14 AM

This is the Challengers cast we deserved. It would have debuted with $100 million worldwide. The bisexual sex scenes between Andrew and Jonathan would have been fire! And Jonathan is an accomplished tennis player.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 30, 2024 1:22 AM

Banks will bankroll films with DEI, so Zendaya will continue to be cast.

by Anonymousreply 68April 30, 2024 1:50 AM

You can't be a flop and the number #1 film of the week. I think it'll recoup its money. The reviews and ratings are good, not that that is the same as financial viability. I honestly really really liked it. They could have shaved off 10 minutes to the run time. The time jumps would justify a second viewing.

I've been enjoying messing around with the remix album. It's not best ever or anything but does its job in the movie. It added some excitement. It matches some of the tension and has a hard thwack-y muscular sense to it.

Is it weird Zendaya commanded 10 mil for it? I thought she was good. Didn't completely get why her character is kind of an asshole. maybe just me! She's mad about her derailed career and she's mad she's in love with people. OK then. IDk, I saw an imdb comment maybe she doesn't exist. She's a figment of the two boys imaginations lol.

by Anonymousreply 69April 30, 2024 1:52 AM

[quote]And is it just me, or does Zendaya present as a teenager? I don’t get woman from her even though she is approaching 30.

I honestly thought she was 18 or 19. I didn’t know her age or anything else about her, because I don’t give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 70April 30, 2024 2:00 AM

[quote] You can't be a flop and the number #1 film of the week.

This happens all the time.

The cost of the production and marketing is weighed against the opening weekend box office gross and critical mass and cinemascore.

Are you new?

by Anonymousreply 71April 30, 2024 2:00 AM

I am new, R71. I understand a film underperforming. It could have done worse is all I meant. I guess I'm pleased people are seeing a tennis love triangle movie at all.

by Anonymousreply 72April 30, 2024 2:08 AM

I'm constantly amazed people can be this stupid.

by Anonymousreply 73April 30, 2024 2:10 AM

I'm not an expert on movie success and I don't pay much mind to box office, ok. Don't call me stupid! No one's said much about what it was expected to do weekend one. OK, R16 said "They were hoping for $20m but got $15m." That doesn't sound like a disaster to me. And certain kinds of movies can build something over the first couple of weeks, no? Someone suggested earlier this could do OK for foreign markets as well. Say more about what you think is going on.

by Anonymousreply 74April 30, 2024 2:26 AM

[quote] I'm not an expert on movie success and I don't pay much mind to box office, ok.

Then stay quiet or don't complain when you get called out.

by Anonymousreply 75April 30, 2024 2:38 AM

[quote] The cost of the production and marketing is weighed against the opening weekend box office gross and critical mass and cinemascore.

How are we quantifying critical mass? Challengers is a B+ Cinemascore. I'm not ChallengersBot but that's decent, right?

by Anonymousreply 76April 30, 2024 2:41 AM

[quote] Then stay quiet or don't complain when you get called out.

Outstanding level of discussion. Calling someone stupid is calling them out? You don't know me. I expect more than that.

by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2024 2:43 AM

Of course you can! Are you on crack?! lmfao

by Anonymousreply 78April 30, 2024 2:45 AM

[quote] I'm not an expert on movie success and I don't pay much mind to box office, ok. Don't call me stupid!

Fine, we’ll stick with retarded.

by Anonymousreply 79April 30, 2024 2:45 AM

None of you geniuses have said anything real about what constitutes a true flop.

by Anonymousreply 80April 30, 2024 2:46 AM

I know you are but am I, R79.

by Anonymousreply 81April 30, 2024 2:47 AM

[quote] You don't know me. I expect more than that.

Why would you expect more? Your comments are idiotic and you admit you know nothing. You've actually gotten far more attention than you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 82April 30, 2024 2:48 AM

[quote] You don't know me. I expect more than that

Are you new here?

by Anonymousreply 83April 30, 2024 2:49 AM

My comments are much clearer than yours R82. I made an effort to explain my thought process. You're not even engaging with me. Because you can't! LOL

by Anonymousreply 84April 30, 2024 2:51 AM

Wow, "LOL!" What a cogent argument. You sure told all of us!

by Anonymousreply 85April 30, 2024 3:02 AM

Truly underwhelming people.

by Anonymousreply 86April 30, 2024 3:02 AM

Those little perverts can put back their thoughts of double penetration and leave Zendaya alone!

by Anonymousreply 87April 30, 2024 3:05 AM

And you still haven't said shit.

by Anonymousreply 88April 30, 2024 3:09 AM

We've already explained it. Just because you can't read, we're under no obligation to repeat and repeat until it penetrates your thick skull, hon.

by Anonymousreply 89April 30, 2024 3:11 AM

What is it you're repeating? Insults?

by Anonymousreply 90April 30, 2024 3:14 AM

Still don't know is 'critical mass' is a metric per R71 or how cinemascore is calculated. Or anything that would tell me a movie with e CinemaScore of B+ is necessarily in trouble. Get that through your thick skull.

by Anonymousreply 91April 30, 2024 3:18 AM

A beautiful clothed girl and two occasionally unclothed fugs isn't a huge box office draw?

by Anonymousreply 92April 30, 2024 3:19 AM

Of course you can be. You have to re-coup your costs not to be a flop.

by Anonymousreply 93April 30, 2024 3:21 AM

[quote] I've been enjoying messing around with the remix album.

Are you combining and re-combining all the different BOPS?

by Anonymousreply 94April 30, 2024 3:23 AM

R80 A flop is when a studio loses money making a movie and there’s no profit or even recoup for losses.

An easy example would be Eddie Murphy’s “Pluto Nash”. It had a $100 million budget and made $7 million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 95April 30, 2024 3:43 AM

But a $10 million salary is crazy for her! She’s been the lead in one movie years ago that bombed.

She really shits on the gender pay gap theory in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2024 3:47 AM

Blue Beetle opened at number 1 with $25 million but was considered a flop.

by Anonymousreply 97April 30, 2024 3:48 AM

Stop indulging this moron. Go play on the Heartstopper thread, sweetie. It's more your speed.

by Anonymousreply 98April 30, 2024 3:52 AM

It used to be a movie could find an audience. Especially ones that aren't big action or super hero movies. That might be more rare these days.

by Anonymousreply 99April 30, 2024 3:56 AM

We don't even have a real source for what was anticipated opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 100April 30, 2024 3:58 AM

Is Challengers a film about astronauts? Didn't Zendaya get a career boost because someone on Joan Rivers show made fun of her?

by Anonymousreply 101April 30, 2024 4:01 AM

I'm not invested in the success of Challengers especially. Everything Everywhere All At Once (budget $25). Did 77 mil domestic but it didn't go wide for two weeks and it did (only) 6 million the first weekend it was wide in 1,250 theaters. A24's biggest film so a rarity in general?

by Anonymousreply 102April 30, 2024 4:13 AM

And, R102?

by Anonymousreply 103April 30, 2024 4:25 AM

Dumb name for a film. Males not sexy enough. Not mysterious or twisty enough. Tennis sport as theme in backdrop of drama scariness is like Showgirls without the camp. Cinematography looked like a Disney movie of the week.

by Anonymousreply 104April 30, 2024 4:33 AM

And so it's not completely impossible for a movie to grow. Again, I don't care that much. Y'all can get back to insults and shouting "Flop!". This article states

[quote] This weekend’s score makes it the second-highest opening for any R-rated original drama post-pandemic. It seems that the mix of raw emotion and risqué exchanges is a winning formula for audiences seeking a bit more spice in their cinema outings. The film has also proven to be a top seed with critics, earning an 87% Positive — and Certified Fresh — rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes. With such a striking start, Challengers is set to continue drawing crowds and driving conversations. Amazon MGM Studios' strategy of pairing theatrical releases with future streaming availability is looking like a grand slam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 30, 2024 4:34 AM

Get back to us in 3 weeks when it’s gone.

by Anonymousreply 106April 30, 2024 4:40 AM

From Deadline

[quote] Some might snipe that for a movie of this budget to do this kind of number is meh, or harp on, “Oh, this is how much Zendaya is worth without a franchise.” However, the whole industry should just count its blessings in a funky marketplace, this weekend delivering some $66M, off 34% from the same weekend a year ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 30, 2024 4:40 AM

Variety is not playing along:

Some veteran box office sages aren’t on board for this new “trust us, it’s a hit” approach to Hollywood economics now that tech giants like Apple and Amazon have crashed the party. “Everybody is using this same line that the box office will propel viewership and you can’t say this is a miss,” notes Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “And they all use this obscure downstream revenues verbiage. But when seen in terms of decades of box office numbers, something like ‘Challengers’ seems middle of the road to me.”

by Anonymousreply 108April 30, 2024 4:54 AM

R99 It’s slowly coming back. Look at the Sydney Sweeney / Glen Powell movie.

by Anonymousreply 109April 30, 2024 4:57 AM

[quote] Is Challengers a film about astronauts?

Yes!

Zendaya, in a fabulous 80s curly wig, plays beloved teacher-cum-martyr Christa McAuliffe.

Mike Faist plans astronaut Ellison Onizuka, whose right foot goes right through McAuliffe's head in the shuttle explosion.

Josh O'Connor plays Ronald Reagan, who has tearful words of solace to offer a heartbroken nation.

With special guest star Billy Porter, as First Lady Nancy Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 110April 30, 2024 5:01 AM

Maybe they should have made it gayer. It was basically advertised as a gay movie, yet it only has one gay kiss. No wonder people are annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 111April 30, 2024 5:03 AM

To be fair, r111, it really wasn't "advertised as a gay movie." There was a lot of vague and ambiguous teasing from the pre-publicity about the main male characters, but they never said blatantly that they were in a gay relationship.

by Anonymousreply 112April 30, 2024 5:13 AM

R112 That may be true, but a lot of people thought it would be a gay movie. They were disapppinted when it turned out that wasn't the case. It would have been more popular if the male characters were actually bi/gay.

by Anonymousreply 113April 30, 2024 5:25 AM

That would've set the box office on fire.

by Anonymousreply 114April 30, 2024 5:27 AM

OP Guy Ritchie's The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare GTD is $15.4M after 10 days in release. It has a 57 Metascore. Now that's a flop!

by Anonymousreply 115April 30, 2024 5:30 AM

This movie should have been about a modern day love triangle. Two guys fighting for one girl is so stale. Why not have the two guys being bi and into each other but also into the girl? Would have been much more interesting that way.

by Anonymousreply 116April 30, 2024 5:35 AM

I thought the idea was the Josh O'Connor character is probably bi. He has men and women on his dating app

by Anonymousreply 117April 30, 2024 5:45 AM

Is he cheating on that guy from Romania?

by Anonymousreply 118April 30, 2024 5:48 AM

Gheorghe is on the farm, because it’s lambing season r118

by Anonymousreply 119April 30, 2024 6:09 AM

More gay baiting shit from Luca. They totally sold it as a bi/gay fucking film.

by Anonymousreply 120April 30, 2024 6:11 AM

Will you shut up r120

You don’t understand anything that’s slightly subtle and you not be satisfied if Patrick sucked on Art’s balls for 30 minutes, because only anal sex is gay.

by Anonymousreply 121April 30, 2024 6:30 AM

Some media are talking about Challengers' profitability problems.

[quote] Despite the heavy marketing, and being richly reviewed Stateside, Amazon/MGM must probably be wondering, what happened? It’s not hard to figure out. “Challengers” was marketed as a “menage a trois” story when it’s not really that at all. It doesn’t help that the audience for such a film, mid-budget and adult-oriented, is now considered “niche.

[quote] Zendaya’s $10 million payday on the film is also looking more ridiculous by the day. Amazon overpaid the celebrity star. It’s no wonder that much of the hype surrounding “Challengers” seemed to stem from social media, especially Twitter/X.

[quote] The B+ CinemaScore is also indicative of a film that might not have much legs in the weeks to come, especially as the summer movie season is about to kickoff next weekend with “The Fall Guy.” It’s come to the point where many projections are veering away from “Challengers” even making back its budget, a below $50 million worldwide final tally is now very much possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 30, 2024 6:59 AM

R21 Pan to the window. Gay baiting utter shite.

by Anonymousreply 123April 30, 2024 7:00 AM

Zendaya looks good in that tennis still, but those two guys are too weedy and skinny to be believable athletes.

by Anonymousreply 124April 30, 2024 9:07 AM

She looks like she always does: mildly annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 125April 30, 2024 11:20 AM

From the OP photo it looks good for straight-to-streaming, on Only Fans.

by Anonymousreply 126April 30, 2024 12:24 PM

R122 That’s bad for Zendaya either.

If you’ve ever read the Sony emails during the hack, they very much resemble DL.

That $10 million dollar paycheck is definitely being talked about.

She and her agent were stupid to make such a bold move.

by Anonymousreply 127April 30, 2024 12:38 PM

I bet they offered Zendaya a lower check and backend and she said no.

Very dumb.

by Anonymousreply 128April 30, 2024 12:39 PM

Zendaya is trying to establish herself as a major star, worth $10 million or more per film. Plus she has Amy Pascal backing her. She is entitled to push for this but it’s unclear whether she can sustain that kind of demand, simply because she has a large social media following. We have to wait and see if Challengers continues to grow at the box office or tanks.

by Anonymousreply 129April 30, 2024 2:27 PM

An actual reasonable and well thought out comment r129

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

by Anonymousreply 130April 30, 2024 2:40 PM

Reminds me of the old bon mot about Ester Williams. Wet she's a star, dry she ain't! Looking like a star on the Red Carpet doesn't mean you're a good actor people want to see. She's so overexposed and selling herself for designer brand deals. She has money but not (Fuck You) money yet.

by Anonymousreply 131April 30, 2024 2:42 PM

People v]can tell she's a dyke in plain sight too.

by Anonymousreply 132April 30, 2024 2:47 PM

Aw, sorry you couldnt keep up R98

by Anonymousreply 133April 30, 2024 2:52 PM

Like his girlfriend, Tom Holland is not a box-office draw outside of major IP movies. Everything he's done outside of Spiderman has tanked. I wonder if their PR relationship is on its last legs now that it's no longer beneficial to either one of them?

by Anonymousreply 134April 30, 2024 3:39 PM

R134: Timothee Chalamet is definitely not a draw outside of IP films or films that don't have a draw of their own.

by Anonymousreply 135April 30, 2024 3:49 PM

Tom Holland dating Zendaya is not credible to anyone on the Earth

Tom is miserable being a celebrity. I can see him mostly retiring from film by his early 30s, coming out, enjoying his Spider-Man millions and occasionally being a character actor.

by Anonymousreply 136April 30, 2024 3:49 PM

It is similar to the Jennifer Lawrence flop “No Hard Feelings.” It would have at least made a small profit if the budget wasn’t $45 million and the reason why the budget was $45 million was Lawrence’s $25 million salary. Fascinating that Lawrence didn’t use her clout to put pressure on the studio, screenwriter, director and say “hey, this movie needs to make $120 million to justify my salary so I can keep commanding it, so why not make a movie that will give the teenage boys that we need to turn out for it what they want instead of a movie that mocks and insults them just being teenage boys?”

by Anonymousreply 137April 30, 2024 3:52 PM

Matt, do you ever tire of you Timmy obsession r135?

Timmy will be major star until you choke on your own vomit or Mexican immigrants, which terrify you, beat you to death and no one will stop to help you, because you’re too ugly to live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138April 30, 2024 3:53 PM

Nicole and Renee pushed for big salaries ($12-15 million) when they were hot but then reality intervened when they couldn’t deliver hits, and their salaries went down.

by Anonymousreply 139April 30, 2024 3:57 PM

In 2024, NO female actor is a sure fire box office draw

No male actor either

Except Timothee Chalamet

by Anonymousreply 140April 30, 2024 3:59 PM

Which one is Tom Holland again?

by Anonymousreply 141April 30, 2024 4:03 PM

Google him, you lazy whore

by Anonymousreply 142April 30, 2024 4:16 PM

R140: Timothee Chalamet has never had a non-IP hit you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 143April 30, 2024 4:19 PM

How does is feel to be so ugly and crazy that no man will touch you Matt?

by Anonymousreply 144April 30, 2024 4:29 PM

WTF ! I would have played Zendaya's role for 5mil and a carton of KY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 30, 2024 4:32 PM

It's a little disingenuous to condemn anyone for not having an IP-driven hit, since 95% of what's being produced by the studios these days IS IP driven, and that's what they're putting their money behind because it's the only thing that sells.

by Anonymousreply 146April 30, 2024 5:26 PM

Started watching the cam version earlier today but quickly zoned out. I don't think I'll ever watch it to completion, it's just not my thing.

And I said it when the plot synopsis came out already, but I still can't buy Zendaya as a tennis coach. People that young just. Don't. Coach. Tennis. Not a thing.

by Anonymousreply 147April 30, 2024 5:30 PM

She’s good in it. Her performance is runs the spectrum from her “im sexy and I know it” face to varying volumes of her trademark resting bitch face. There’s legit star quality here, but I don’t think she has much range as an actress. She’s an alpha bitch, and pretty much can’t deviate from that space.

The standout performance is from Josh O’Connor. Not your stereotypical handsome jock, but his big dick energy is palpable throughout the movie without ever being stereotypical. Faist, on the other hand, has a poorly written part. Too one-dimensional and, sorry, major small dick energy.

by Anonymousreply 148April 30, 2024 11:33 PM

It made $1.6 million on Monday. I know many of you are watching this day today and saying prayers. I am one of you.

by Anonymousreply 149May 1, 2024 12:45 AM

Only it’s not a flop. People who aren’t in the industries should really stop speaking about shit they know nothing about.

Also, OP makes up 90% of the comments. Like this is not normal.

by Anonymousreply 150May 1, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote] The standout performance is from Josh O’Connor. Not your stereotypical handsome jock, but his big dick energy is palpable throughout the movie without ever being stereotypical.

R148 = drunk ghost of Pauline Kael.

by Anonymousreply 151May 1, 2024 2:31 AM

R146: Moreover, we shouldn’t credit a successful IP driven film solely to an actor’s appeal when there are other possible factors at play.

by Anonymousreply 152May 1, 2024 3:24 AM

Agreed, R152. Quite the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 153May 1, 2024 3:39 AM

Luca’s commentary on the scene where the boys eat each others churros

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 1, 2024 4:26 AM

Such handsome men, eating their crispy fried snacks on top of each other

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 1, 2024 4:29 AM

Honestly, how much were industry journalists expect Challengers to make? $15 million seems like a lot to me given that it's a pretty niche film. I guess Zendaya is a "star" so you could argue it should have made more. But, she's never actually been the lead in a film.

by Anonymousreply 156May 1, 2024 4:58 AM

[quote] $15 million seems like a lot to me given that it's a pretty niche film.

Except that they marketed it like it was a big budget mainstream film. This movie had a massive marketing budget and has been promoted excessively for the past 8-10 weeks. That kind of marketing push should be able to buy more than $15m of ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 157May 1, 2024 5:04 AM

[quote] In the movie’s greatest scene, the teenage Tashi, a rising tennis star who dazzles everyone who sees her on the court, seduces the lads Art and Patrick with tempting kisses, as if intending to lure them both to bed. Then she withdraws, and they’re left to confront—or not—their real feelings for each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158May 1, 2024 5:25 AM

Is this Josh O'Connor's first movie to open at the multiplexes?

by Anonymousreply 159May 1, 2024 5:28 AM

Any cock on display?

by Anonymousreply 160May 1, 2024 5:33 AM

Yes, some anonymous dick in a locker room scene.

But O'Connor does show his ass in a nice lingering shot in the sauna

by Anonymousreply 161May 1, 2024 5:37 AM

R157 but everyone knew it wasn’t one. And the high publication of the two guys kissing made people think it’s a gay movie and not wanna see it. They should have focused more on the love triangle and less on the gay kiss.

by Anonymousreply 162May 1, 2024 9:27 AM

R161 why are you answering yourself???? Why have you replied 10 more times since last night? I think Muriel needs to see this thread.

by Anonymousreply 163May 1, 2024 9:27 AM

R163 I think you're confused.

by Anonymousreply 164May 1, 2024 10:49 AM

Seems like only 2 to 3 people here have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 165May 1, 2024 5:10 PM

Matt Anscher who is the OP has not seen it, because his disability check budget will not allow it.

So his contribution to this thread is in publishing 50% of the posts and ranting m

Isn’t Matt Anscher the ugly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 1, 2024 5:18 PM

It only came out Friday

by Anonymousreply 167May 1, 2024 10:39 PM

I've seen it twice already, once alone and then I took a friend, and we both enjoyed it much.

by Anonymousreply 168May 2, 2024 12:25 AM

Me too 168

I saw the film for second time yesterday, and what do you know, it was the subtitled showing. I got so much more from the subtitles, including the scene in the locker room after Patrick had defeated his first opponent: that character was PISSED about losing to “this loser”. It was hilarious.

I also got more from the performance of Mike Faist on the second viewing. Patrick and Tasha are the agents of chaos, so they commanded my attention in the first viewing. Faist’s performance is quieter than theirs, but he’s truly excellent. If there’s a video on Brokeback Mountain, the play, where he starred opposite Lucas Hedges, I definitely want to see him in that.

by Anonymousreply 169May 2, 2024 12:34 AM

Jesus, don't you two have lives?

by Anonymousreply 170May 2, 2024 2:37 AM

I liked it a lot. But why was the budget $55 million (according to Wiki so who knows)? There's not a ton of characters; it's simple studio and non-difficult location shooting. They must have paid Zendaya a shit ton.

by Anonymousreply 171May 2, 2024 3:32 AM

Churros are expensive r171

by Anonymousreply 172May 2, 2024 3:46 AM

[quote] Also, OP makes up 90% of the comments. Like this is not normal.

Oh for fuck's sake, Sea Cow: like you're one to talk.

You're over every Challengers thread yourself like stink on shit. You contributed something like fifty posts alone to the thread "“Challengers” clip shows Josh O’Connor & Mike Faist’s characters are a couple."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173May 2, 2024 4:09 AM

The funny thing about Challengers is the original script before Luca was brought on was so boringly hetero. Thank goodness he injected so much homoeroticism into it, it's that aspect that has has people talking about this movie.

by Anonymousreply 174May 2, 2024 1:10 PM

It didn’t flop. People have never been keen on watching a tennis movie. Tennis movies almost always flop. Even King Richard with Will Smith only made around $15 million domestically. This movie is already the highest grossing tennis film of all time in just a few days.

To say Zendaya flopped is insane. She just gave Hollywood their first semi-hit tennis film and she gave Luca his highest grossing film ever as well. Her movie made more in 5 days than CMBYN made in 3 months.

by Anonymousreply 175May 2, 2024 3:15 PM

Wimbledon with Kirsten Dunst and Paul,Bettany had a budget of $31 million and made $41.5 million.

by Anonymousreply 176May 2, 2024 3:18 PM

Sorry about that comma after Paul. ^

by Anonymousreply 177May 2, 2024 3:19 PM

The only who thinks CHALLENGERS is a flop is a mentally ill butt hideous troll named Matt Ancsher who’s got a grudge against Luca Guadiningo for directing Call Me By Your Name which launched Timothee Chalamet career. Anscher hates uncontrollably hates Timmy and he’s the source on 95% of the anti Timothee comments on this board.

by Anonymousreply 178May 2, 2024 3:22 PM

But then we have Seacow who would give Zendaya an Oscar for pooping.

by Anonymousreply 179May 2, 2024 3:25 PM

For the person upthread who asked, yes, Zendaya is famous because of the whole Giuliana Rancic thing.

by Anonymousreply 180May 2, 2024 3:29 PM

Dog face Zendaya is box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 181May 2, 2024 6:19 PM

Zendaya has been a very successful model. For a model to win an Emmy is impressive.

by Anonymousreply 182May 2, 2024 9:32 PM

Nothing about winning an Emmy is impressive. Within five years, you'll be able to buy them in vending machines.

by Anonymousreply 183May 2, 2024 9:41 PM

How many Emmys have you won r183?

by Anonymousreply 184May 2, 2024 11:48 PM

Stupid argument from a stupid person.

by Anonymousreply 185May 3, 2024 4:27 AM

If they had gotten Chandler Massey for this role, they would have made bank!

by Anonymousreply 186May 3, 2024 5:10 AM

R168 = Tom Holland.

by Anonymousreply 187May 3, 2024 5:39 AM

Wow r185 “Stupid argument from a stupid person”. What a cogent argument. You sure told all of us!

by Anonymousreply 188May 3, 2024 6:01 AM

Flop.

by Anonymousreply 189May 3, 2024 6:31 AM

“She just gave Hollywood their first semi-hit tennis film…”

Now that’s damning with faint praise!

by Anonymousreply 190May 3, 2024 8:12 AM

The tennis scenes are virtually all special effects. They weren’t even using tennis rackets in their scenes—added later in post-production.

by Anonymousreply 191May 3, 2024 8:15 AM

[quote] What a cogent argument. You sure told all of us!

Don't involve anyone else in your stupidity. I only wanted to tell you. And I did.

by Anonymousreply 192May 3, 2024 3:07 PM

You only think you did .

Your false bravado is not convincing anyone

by Anonymousreply 193May 3, 2024 3:29 PM

Oh, you're the Matt Anscher troll, R193. What am I wasting my time with you for?

by Anonymousreply 194May 3, 2024 3:34 PM

Because you have nothing better to do in your old folks home where nobody comes to visit you r194

by Anonymousreply 195May 3, 2024 3:40 PM

We're at 20mil US, 10mil foreign going into weekend two.

by Anonymousreply 196May 3, 2024 4:35 PM

We, r196?

by Anonymousreply 197May 3, 2024 5:04 PM

Us r197

by Anonymousreply 198May 3, 2024 5:10 PM

This weekend will be a test of what the legs look like for this movie. I hope it holds up well. We want Hollywood to make more real movies rather than mindless crap, I'd like good stuff to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 199May 3, 2024 5:17 PM

OP what is the real reason you have so much hate toward Zendaya and this film? Challengers was the top box office movie of last weekend and has already made more money than any of Luca Guadagnino films including CMBYN. What sad reason does the OP have for wishing failure on Zendaya? Is it the obvious and tedious one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200May 3, 2024 5:22 PM

The fact that a movie were audiences knew would have a gay undertone and legit male on male make-out scene and only male nudity was number one at the box office should be celebrated. This movie helps prove how far we've come as a society. The most I could hope for growing up 2000s, were gay kiss scenes done for laughs. Never a serious take on bisexuality and gayness in a serious context that is the nation's number one film.

Though, this didn't stop me from jerking off to this scene so many times growing up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201May 3, 2024 7:40 PM

The emphasis on Faist’s lean musculature, O’Connor’s hirsute limbs and torso, the sexual threat of competitive player Grosu (Alex Bancila), and frequently the arc of male buttocks become prominent compositional features. Cinematographer Sayombhu Mukdeeprom captures flesh and skin texture almost palpably, providing sensual fascination.-Armod White

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 3, 2024 8:32 PM

[quote] Luca Guadagnino thinks that after the end of the movie, the trio went back to the hotel room together. Does Kuritzkes agree?

[quote] in is that by the end of the movie, they're all really playing tennis and they're playing the best tennis of their lives, everybody and all their cards are out on the table. There's nothing left for them to say to each other at that point. They're having the most open and honest conversation of their lives, and they're doing it through tennis, so what happens after that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203May 4, 2024 1:43 PM

Shania is very close to an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 204May 4, 2024 2:55 PM

Liked O'Conner's genuine reply to the question "How difficult was it doing the steam room scene? "It was cold but fun!" He didn't drone on about how "challenging it was, intimacy coordinators, sexual choreography, resonance with the community, asking his fluid friends how to kiss a boy yada yada. "It was fun.'" Note to Bambi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205May 4, 2024 3:26 PM

[quote]‘CHALLENGERS’ is set to make $8.7M in its second week at the domestic box office, a 42% drop from opening weekend.

[quote] One of the smallest second-week drops for a wide theatrical release in 2024.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 4, 2024 3:45 PM

Yeah it is showing signs of a good hold this weekend. Word of mouth is taking effect.

by Anonymousreply 207May 4, 2024 5:00 PM

Josh O'Connors first big role was in the gay movie God's Own Country r205. He did way more gay sex and nudity in that movie, Challengers is light work.

by Anonymousreply 208May 4, 2024 5:01 PM

R176 it made $41 million worldwide in its entire theatrical lifetime. Challengers has already made over $30 million worldwide in 1 week. It will soon take the #1 tennis movie ever spot away from Wimbledon. Like someone said upthread (and like I’ve seen many state on other sites and articles), tennis films ALWAYS flop. This is actually doing better than any tennis film has done, which actually is a good look for Zendaya, as people probably wouldn’t watch this if she wasn’t in it.

by Anonymousreply 209May 4, 2024 5:05 PM

R183 then why do the majority of people on tv shows and tv movies not even have a nomination, yet alone a win?

by Anonymousreply 210May 4, 2024 5:08 PM

R208 because Challengers isn’t a gay film, and if it was it would have made about $2-$3 million opening weekend.

by Anonymousreply 211May 4, 2024 5:10 PM

🌊🐄 in da house!

by Anonymousreply 212May 4, 2024 5:14 PM

God’s Own Country had a novice director with no reputation,, no stars (Josh O was a nobody then) and was a foreign film r211

But I agree…gay male films to not do well at the box office, unless the film had inconvertible straight star like Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall

by Anonymousreply 213May 4, 2024 5:15 PM

This is perfectly fine box office for a low/mid-budget movie…Marvel films have warped people’s minds to think anything that’s not a $100 million opening weekend is a flop

by Anonymousreply 214May 4, 2024 5:18 PM

[quote] OP what is the real reason you have so much hate toward Zendaya and this film? Challengers was the top box office movie of last weekend and has already made more money than any of Luca Guadagnino films including CMBYN. What sad reason does the OP have for wishing failure on Zendaya? Is it the obvious and tedious one?

What a ridiculous and embarrassing series of leading questions. You might as well be a FOX pundit asking someone, "Why do you hate America so much?"

You should be ashamed of yourself for resorting to such a cheap rhetorical stunt.

by Anonymousreply 215May 4, 2024 5:19 PM

Yes, Brokeback Mountain was an exception, but almost every gay film since it has burnt to the ground. BM was also a first of its kind in a way, getting mainstream attention despite the gay story and people were curious. The attendance for that film was mostly women though outside of gay men. So thank them for giving us a hit.

by Anonymousreply 216May 4, 2024 5:19 PM

R214 yup. Marvel brain-rot is real.

Mind you this is a non-IP and the biggest American non-IP internationally since like 2017 or 2018. The $10 million it made internationally was the best an American non-IP film has don’t internationally (in opening weekend) since before Covid.

by Anonymousreply 217May 4, 2024 5:21 PM

Zendaya must be fucking someone very powerful.

Lady is as bland as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 218May 4, 2024 5:25 PM

[Quote] Challengers isn’t a gay film, and if it was it would have made about $2-$3 million opening weekend.

R211 gets it

by Anonymousreply 219May 4, 2024 5:41 PM

Mind you this is a non-IP and the biggest American non-IP internationally since like 2017 or 2018. The $10 million it made internationally was the best an American non-IP film has don’t internationally (in opening weekend) since before Covid.

^^ what a crock of shit!

by Anonymousreply 220May 4, 2024 5:42 PM

Oppenheimer is an adaptation of a book based on actual history….

by Anonymousreply 221May 4, 2024 5:45 PM

Which does NOT = IP property as the term is used by anyone in the business. Fail.

by Anonymousreply 222May 4, 2024 5:53 PM

Challengers is a lot of things, but a flop is not one of them. Now Fall Guy, on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 223May 4, 2024 5:54 PM

Isn’t Challengers going to max out around $45 million US, well below its cost? Sorry but the math ain’t mathin.

by Anonymousreply 224May 4, 2024 6:03 PM

Yeah it's holding well but it's still not going to be profitable based on its box office run. Overall it's performing similar to No Hard Feelings. Another movie that did pretty well, but not good enough to be profitable at the bix office.

by Anonymousreply 225May 4, 2024 6:14 PM

It was the O rings.

by Anonymousreply 226May 4, 2024 6:20 PM

Did they go with throttle up?

by Anonymousreply 227May 4, 2024 6:21 PM

R213 "inconvertible straight stars like Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall"

got it half right mate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228May 4, 2024 7:16 PM

[quote] This is perfectly fine box office for a low/mid-budget movie…Marvel films have warped people’s minds to think anything that’s not a $100 million opening weekend is a flop

You can keep singing that song, but you'll still be wrong. The movie is not low/mid budget. It cost $55m to make and $40-$50m to market. That's $100m, sweets.

by Anonymousreply 229May 4, 2024 8:03 PM

The greatest trick the devil ever played was convincing the world that Zendaya was attractive. She walks around looking like a zombie with sleep in her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 230May 4, 2024 8:15 PM

[Quote] Challengers is a lot of things, but a flop is not one of them. Now Fall Guy, on the other hand...

R223 The Fall Guy grossed $10.4M it's opening day

by Anonymousreply 231May 4, 2024 8:17 PM

Its not it's

by Anonymousreply 232May 4, 2024 9:18 PM

Why does it matter if it's a flop financially if you like the movie?

by Anonymousreply 233May 4, 2024 11:06 PM

Zendaya is beyond overrated.

by Anonymousreply 234May 4, 2024 11:42 PM

Because Hollywood is ALL about profit, and if quality movies succeed financially,, there’s more chances that we will get more quality films r233

You are quite dense,

by Anonymousreply 235May 4, 2024 11:42 PM

I think you're the dense one, R235.

by Anonymousreply 236May 5, 2024 12:13 AM

R235/R236 Lord you old kweens are tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 237May 5, 2024 4:49 AM

Everything is a flop considering nobody's going to the movies, OP.

by Anonymousreply 238May 5, 2024 11:04 AM

CHALLENGERS is #2 at the box office this week

[quote] Challengers is stealing the younger women away from this Gosling pic. The Luca Guadagnino-directed, Zendaya- starring tennis rom-com is down -42% in weekend 2 with $8.7M, and a running total by Sunday of $30.55M

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 5, 2024 12:50 PM

Sunday update

SUNDAY AM Writethru after Saturday AM Update: Universal’s The Fall Guy isn’t so strong, and nobody is really shocked.

While it was projected to do at least $30M, and it’s coming in at $28M, this is the range for original action comedies, even when they star Ryan Gosling. PostTrak exits report he’s 50% of the reason why people went to see the movie (versus 35% for Emily Blunt).

The opening for Fall Guy is actually on the higher end of Gosling starts, ranked third after anomaly Barbie ($162M) and Blade Runner 2049 ($32.7M), yet further down on Blunt’s. It’s looking like her tenth-best opening of her career stateside, short of Edge of Tomorrow ($28.7M) and Jungle Cruise ($35M with an asterisk – it did have a theatrical day-and-date PVOD on Disney+).

by Anonymousreply 240May 5, 2024 2:51 PM

You lot are hilarious with this “highest grossing tennis movie” bs. How many tennis movies are there exactly? A flop is determined by budget vs. gross, NOT by how it’s performing compared to other movies or weekend rankings or the directors other movies or how much your worldview is based on Zendaya being the queen of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 241May 5, 2024 3:11 PM

This thread is like watching two defensive baseliners play a five-setter on slow clay. Hours of tedium and dust.

by Anonymousreply 242May 5, 2024 3:38 PM

Zendaya is a FLOP!

by Anonymousreply 243May 5, 2024 4:11 PM

As of Sunday, Challengers is down to third place at the box office. It was beat by an old movie. Goodbye, Challengers, it was nice to briefly know you.

by Anonymousreply 244May 5, 2024 4:23 PM

Josh O’Connor and Mike Faist are the opposite of FLOPS!

by Anonymousreply 245May 5, 2024 4:23 PM

[quote] CHALLENGERS is #2 at the box office this week

It's so much fun to see a moron like you be proven wrong time and time again. You know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 246May 5, 2024 4:57 PM

R222 Oppenheimer does not count as non-IP. It’s a fucking historical film. Retard.

by Anonymousreply 247May 5, 2024 5:09 PM

R231 you keep bringing up Challengers costs. Start doing it for Fall Guy, retard…

by Anonymousreply 248May 5, 2024 5:11 PM

What r238 said. Everything has been “flopping” lately. Including the latest Gosling film

by Anonymousreply 249May 5, 2024 5:12 PM

R241 Hollywood doesn’t make them often because they all fucking flop. Stupid motherfucker. How about you sign off of here and go sign up for some classes? Might do you some good before you end up in court.

by Anonymousreply 250May 5, 2024 5:13 PM

The #1 tennis movie ever was Wimbledon with $41 million worldwide. That was a Kirsten Dunst vehicle after the Spider-Man movies. I don’t remember people screaming “FLOP”, even though her name alone has never carried a film to make big numbers. Yet she’s a respected actress and name despite numerous flops attached to her name.

Emma Stone was also given a tennis vehicle after Spider-Man and that one made $18 million worldwide. No one proclaimed FLOP and she’s had numerous flops under her belt.

“Challengers” has already surpassed both worldwide in a week yet she’s a “FLOP”, despite the fact the film is out during a time when everything is flopping and is actually doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 251May 5, 2024 5:20 PM

[quote] Josh O’Connor and Mike Faist are the opposite of FLOPS!

I am the Earth Mother, and they're all FLOPS!

by Anonymousreply 252May 5, 2024 5:33 PM

None are flops. The film is doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 253May 5, 2024 5:37 PM

Is Strangers on a Train considered a tennis movie?

by Anonymousreply 254May 5, 2024 5:44 PM

R246 your blood pressure is rising over a movie which you have not even watched.

We anticipate your imminent stroke with glee

by Anonymousreply 255May 5, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote] Is Strangers on a Train considered a tennis movie?

According to this website, yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256May 5, 2024 6:46 PM

[quote] Challengers continues its cinematic run, its ability to engage a diverse audience and spark conversations about its themes and characters demonstrates its potential not just to rally at the box office but also to make a lasting impression on its viewers, mixing sports, drama, and personal conflict, Challengers is acing its way through the season, captivating audiences worldwide and proving it can volley with the best in cinema, serving up a game-set-match performance that’s hard to forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 5, 2024 8:45 PM

R250 IM the stupid motherfucker, yet you don’t realize that being the highest grossing tennis movie isn’t an achievement when there are less than 10 and none of those really made any money.

by Anonymousreply 258May 5, 2024 10:19 PM

Zendaya is a celebrity, a star even, but not a movie star.

She should transition to the catwalk.

by Anonymousreply 259May 5, 2024 10:40 PM

10 years from now, no one will know what a Zendaya is.

by Anonymousreply 260May 5, 2024 10:44 PM

Why is no one talking about what a flop Guy Ritchies The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is? 17 days in release its domestic gross is $18.4 compared to Fall Guy's 3 day weekend total of $28.5M and Challengers' 10-day gross of $29.4M

by Anonymousreply 261May 6, 2024 1:41 AM

Because no one had any expectations for The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 262May 6, 2024 1:44 AM

A flop is a flop!

Henry Cavill's latest film, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, falls short at the box office, continuing a trend of financial underperformance.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare has so far made just under $16 million globally, with 97% of its earnings coming from North America alone. It's a disappointing sum of money, especially when the movie's $60 million production budget is factored in. Though The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is still showing in cinemas, its total earnings are unlikely to increase by much.

After all, the film finished sixth at the domestic box office in only its second weekend, and with greater competition on the horizon, The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is already a certified flop. 💣💣💣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263May 6, 2024 1:54 AM

I saw it today. It’s fine. The filming of the tennis action was outstanding, the story was bland. And I don’t get the appeal of Zendaya. I just saw her in Dune and now this. She’s wooden and zero charisma.

by Anonymousreply 264May 6, 2024 2:00 AM

(^.^) She's an object not a star.

by Anonymousreply 265May 6, 2024 3:27 AM

Pretentious but 100% correct

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266May 8, 2024 4:49 PM

I will flop!

by Anonymousreply 267May 8, 2024 4:56 PM

[quote] Challengers has now not only recovered its reported budget of $55 million, but it is also on its way to passing a massive box office milestone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 12, 2024 8:54 PM

R258, yes. You are a stupid motherfucker. There aren’t less than 10 tennis films and the reason they’re rarely made is because THEY ALL FLOP. What doesn’t register? You also are a grown man who asked about penises on another thread. More proof for everyone that you’re a retard.

by Anonymousreply 269May 12, 2024 9:00 PM

Yes, it’s earned $68.6 million worldwide in 17 days despite opening with $25 million worldwide. It is showing legs overseas.

by Anonymousreply 270May 12, 2024 9:03 PM

Now now r268….you seem upset..:.come…lay your head on my breast…..shhh

by Anonymousreply 271May 12, 2024 9:03 PM

[quote] Yes, it’s earned $68.6 million worldwide in 17 days despite opening with $25 million worldwide. It is showing legs overseas.

No it isn't You're a dumb fuck. Why don't you go take some classes.

by Anonymousreply 272May 12, 2024 9:17 PM

R272 retard, it opened with just $10 million overseas. It has made another $20 million since then. Yes, it has legs. I don’t need to take classes, I graduated from college. I understand basic math. You’re a grown man who asked about penises on another thread. You need to learn your place.

by Anonymousreply 273May 12, 2024 9:26 PM

[quote] I graduated from college. I understand basic math

No you didn’t

by Anonymousreply 274May 12, 2024 9:27 PM

Yes, I did. You didn’t even attend. 🍵

by Anonymousreply 275May 12, 2024 9:31 PM

Girls! Girls! You're both pretty

tiresome..

by Anonymousreply 276May 12, 2024 9:44 PM

Some of the parodies are hilarious.

I love Zach Tinker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277May 12, 2024 9:48 PM

Sorry, e, your queen flopped hard!

by Anonymousreply 278May 12, 2024 10:12 PM

Wow, now you can't even say ed wine. Shit's getting serious.

by Anonymousreply 279May 12, 2024 10:13 PM

Challengers has made $38M domestic and $31M foreign.

That means 50% domestic goes to studio, so around $19M.

Also means 25% foreign goes to studio, so around $8M.

That means the film has made the studio $27M off a $55M budget. Hardly a moneymaker.

by Anonymousreply 280May 13, 2024 1:22 AM

The streaming release date is this Friday, May 17.

by Anonymousreply 281May 13, 2024 1:39 AM

Don't forget the $40-$50m they spent on marketing, R280.

by Anonymousreply 282May 13, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote] R272 retard, it opened with just $10 million overseas. It has made another $20 million since then. Yes, it has legs. I don’t need to take classes, I graduated from college. I understand basic math. You’re a grown man who asked about penises on another thread. You need to learn your place.

My place is telling you what a loser you are. Of course, as evidenced on your threads, you have so many people doing that for you, it's amazing you haven't grasped it yet.

by Anonymousreply 283May 13, 2024 2:33 AM

Is r283 satire?

For his sake, I hope it is

by Anonymousreply 284May 13, 2024 2:58 AM

The audacity

[quote] Zendaya’s stylist, Law Roach, revealed the five major fashion houses that would not dress the actress at the onset of her career.

[quote] “She still has never worn Dior on a carpet. She still has never worn Chanel on a carpet. She has still never worn Gucci on a carpet — any press, any appearance, never. Never,” he explained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285May 13, 2024 3:09 AM

I love telling OP to jump because he always does. Fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 286May 13, 2024 3:14 AM

“The Fall Guy” fell to No. 2 with a $13.7 million weekend and a two-week total of $49.7 million for Universal Pictures.

Zendaya’s “Challengers” was third with $4.7 million and has earned $38 million in three weeks for Amazon MGM studios.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287May 13, 2024 7:58 AM

Maybe they're counting on there being enough closeted gay/bi guys out there who wouldn't want to be seen in a theater watching this but who will stream the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 288May 16, 2024 8:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!