Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Countries where women play second fiddle in the looks department

Italy

Spain

by Anonymousreply 90May 7, 2024 9:53 PM

Fireislandia and the Republic of Provincetown.

by Anonymousreply 1May 1, 2024 4:31 PM

I think in the human species natural selection favored young men who were attractive and flashy. The result is that on average young men more often have noticeable good looks than young women. I think the imbalance may disappear by the 30s because middle age men are often not very attractive at all.

by Anonymousreply 2May 1, 2024 4:42 PM

Ireland

by Anonymousreply 3May 1, 2024 6:14 PM

100% True in Italy OP. The standard of beauty here is Male beauty for sure. I thought it was because I was gay and only concentrated on the men that I didn't see the pretty women. But even my straight women friends from the states say there aren't that many beautiful Italian women, not compared to the men. The men are the peacocks and they know it, they like being seen for their looks. I say in Italy the men are prettier than the women, and the women are stronger than the men. And even if they're not drop dead gorgeous, they are just so sexy without trying.

This was a random pic I took of two workmen taking a break. BTW, workmen here and I Spain where these specific color coded shoes. You must have to belong to a certain guild, but you only see them with construction, road, electrical workers, etc. . I can definitely see those becoming a fetish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 1, 2024 6:22 PM

Argentina

by Anonymousreply 5May 1, 2024 6:25 PM

I wouldn’t say American women are great beauties. They are either massively overweight or scrawny Barbies with bad surgery, too much make up and plastic tits.

by Anonymousreply 6May 1, 2024 6:28 PM

Canada

by Anonymousreply 7May 1, 2024 6:32 PM

There are A LOT of pretty girls in the States.

by Anonymousreply 8May 1, 2024 6:40 PM

In other words, everywhere.

Armenia

by Anonymousreply 9May 1, 2024 6:42 PM

Iran and Turkey. Basically anywhere where hirsutism rules!

by Anonymousreply 10May 1, 2024 6:46 PM

This is highly subjective, of course. Then you have countries where not many people are good lookin' at all (with a few anomalies) - several Eastern European / Russian countries come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 11May 1, 2024 6:47 PM

R4, Americans will never understand a culture where men outpretty the women -- nevermind that many great past civilizations understood just this. What a shame!

by Anonymousreply 12May 1, 2024 6:49 PM

R11, Eastern Europeans / Russians make tremendous twinks. Dunno what happens to them after 30 though...

by Anonymousreply 13May 1, 2024 6:50 PM

If you’re gay, everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 14May 1, 2024 6:53 PM

Surprise, surprise!

Another woman-bashing thread brought to you by Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 15May 1, 2024 6:54 PM

Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 16May 1, 2024 6:55 PM

The Netherlands

by Anonymousreply 17May 1, 2024 7:17 PM

When I was in Rome, there were a lot of good-looking Italian women.

by Anonymousreply 18May 1, 2024 7:20 PM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 19May 1, 2024 7:23 PM

R18, those were actually Catholic priests wearing wigs.

by Anonymousreply 20May 1, 2024 7:25 PM

Puerto Rico

by Anonymousreply 21May 1, 2024 7:25 PM

[quote]I wouldn’t say American women are great beauties. They are either massively overweight or scrawny Barbies with bad surgery, too much make up and plastic tits.

What part of the U.S. did you visit? Florida?

by Anonymousreply 22May 1, 2024 7:26 PM

This is true in some of the undomesticated animal kingdom. Males tend to be more colorful, have more elaborate plummage, make mating displays for attention etc.

by Anonymousreply 23May 1, 2024 7:34 PM

R23 Exhibit A: Mallard stud with his basic bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 1, 2024 7:47 PM

North Africa-Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt. Throw in the nearby Lebanese and you've got my attention.

by Anonymousreply 25May 1, 2024 8:04 PM

The average American woman does not look all that great. The grooming, the weight, an overall haggard look.

The women in Italy look better IMHO.

Certainly, they lose compared to the men. That's true.

by Anonymousreply 26May 1, 2024 8:09 PM

BTW R4 those workers might be Albanian or Romanian.

by Anonymousreply 27May 1, 2024 8:12 PM

Yeah, Italian women are all stunners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 1, 2024 8:15 PM

R10 I had a Turkish classmate and she didn't just have hairy arms but also her upper Butt and the region from her vagina to the belly button was hairy. Unfortunately, the Turkish men often smell. It is a country ruled by inbreeding and I hope the practice stops soon.

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2024 8:18 PM

You guys are only saying this because you're gay

Most straight guys would disagree

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2024 8:19 PM

I'll agree with Italy. There are beautiful women, of course, but I think the Italian women who come into their prime do so later in life, in late middle-age and beyond.

In Spain that's not true. There are many gorgeous young/er women -- as many as young/er men, I can't voucher because my eye veers in another direction, but there are strikingly beautiful Spanish women everywhere. And it's clear they come from the same line of good looks as their make counterparts. I also like that women in Spain are very forward and throw themselves into a conversation, none of that "Would it be alright if I said something?" nervousness. Spanish women are bold more so than Italian women, 100x more than American women, and not in a pushy way, they are just not shy about interjecting, nevermind if they're at the next table and complete strangers. When they smile or laugh it's very sincere and open, too. The confidence also contributes to their attractiveness which would stand on its own. I don't see more beautiful women in France than in Spain or in Italy than in Spain.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2024 8:20 PM

PORTUGAL

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2024 8:37 PM

That's interesting about Spain R31. And I would agree that on a whole, there are more pretty younger women in Spain than probably Italy. But I have noted as well that Italian women, girls, are much more confident in speaking their mind. They tend to be prized for stronger personalities than their looks. One thing that I instantly notice when I go back to the states is the vocal fry with young women and them playing dumb. I never really see young women here in Italy playing dumb just to make a man more comfortable in their presence. Overall when it comes to people, both men and women, Europeans tend to have more personality in general. You'll never be at a dinner party with a husband sulking in a chair. Everyone usually has something to say and they will say it, sometimes too much.

But I see so so many attractive guys with basic looking women. If you are an average looking woman, Italy is your place because you will be adored. I don't think Italian men want the pressure of having an attractive wife. They like to be the stars. They want Mom-ish looking women, non-threatening, who will be content with being by their side and let them do whatever they want without leaving. I live in Florence and there are so many basic looking American college girls here too. It must be in some guide book. And that have cute Italian boyfriends.

by Anonymousreply 33May 1, 2024 8:44 PM

One thing about the Italian men, even those who are average or below average looking, they'll often have some gorgeous feature: beautiful eyes, or skin, or hair, or beautiful lips or something interesting to look at. Or the way they move, or facial expressions, something.

by Anonymousreply 34May 1, 2024 8:52 PM

... or the way they dress.

by Anonymousreply 35May 1, 2024 8:55 PM

[quote] Surprise, surprise! Another woman-bashing thread brought to you by Datalounge!

I’m surprised you’re surprised.

And are you really suggesting this site has a shortage of threads where gay men bash the looks of other gay men?

by Anonymousreply 36May 1, 2024 9:01 PM

R15 the door is over there —->

by Anonymousreply 37May 1, 2024 9:12 PM

Italian guys, yes! Although mainly when they’re younger. Middle age tends to hit them pretty hard; excess sun weathers the face and the med diet eventually leads to rotund bellies.

by Anonymousreply 38May 1, 2024 9:18 PM

Ffunny R38, I was about to say the opposite. The men in Italy tend to keep their lithe bodies much longer. THere are 30, 40 year old guys with the shape of a 17 year old, small chest, legs, thin frames.

by Anonymousreply 39May 1, 2024 9:20 PM

R39 Have you been to Italy? It doesn't sound like it. So many hot daddies. Distinguished daddies. And the number of older guys in groups who are out on their bikes or running. And the grooming and stylish dress. Older men are much more pulled together there than in the states.

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2024 9:23 PM

R38 I was thinking more age 40-50, the bellies tend to be huge. At least from what I saw, I’m not sure if that’s still the case

by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2024 9:23 PM

Oooops sorry, my post was meant for R38

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2024 9:24 PM

I get what you’re saying, R33. American men want Sophia Loren, Italian men all seem to want Pam from The Office.

To counter any claims that this is all “ew fish” woman-bashing, I’d say that the US, France, Russia and East Asian countries are all examples of cultures where female beauty plays first fiddle, no questions asked.

I commented in another thread one that one funny outlier is the UK, in so much as it’s a country like most that prizes female beauty over male beauty, but that the rest of the world finds British maleness much sexier than British femaleness.

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2024 9:27 PM

One thing Italian men don't have are butts. Or if they do have butts, they are oddly feminine and a bit jiggly. You wouldn't know it looking at their statues, but walking around in the streets all you see are back pockets hanging. But what I was saying up thread is that they do keep their twinkish bodies much longer, into their 40s and 50s. That's why clothes look so good on them. And they keep their hair. Italian men take their barbers, the parrucchiere very seriously.

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2024 9:35 PM

[quote] Males tend to be more colorful, have more elaborate plummage, make mating displays for attention etc.

Males are always the more beautiful of the two genders -- humans included!

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2024 10:49 PM

^And don't even bother arguing me on that point.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2024 10:50 PM

Definitely not the UK. This woman is so opposite of the stereotype of English women. Love her accent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 2, 2024 12:23 AM

r45..........

by Anonymousreply 48May 2, 2024 12:35 AM

Germany

by Anonymousreply 49May 2, 2024 12:46 AM

R43, almost all of the Anglophone prize female beauty first, and are more virulently anti-gay male. What a pity.

by Anonymousreply 50May 2, 2024 12:48 AM

Everywhere

by Anonymousreply 51May 2, 2024 12:57 AM

Northampton, MA.

by Anonymousreply 52May 2, 2024 1:07 AM

San Francisco. It's kind of its own country!

by Anonymousreply 53May 2, 2024 1:09 AM

Brazil.

by Anonymousreply 54May 2, 2024 1:16 AM

Mexico

by Anonymousreply 55May 2, 2024 1:16 AM

Australia

by Anonymousreply 56May 2, 2024 2:38 AM

Guarding the entrance to Florence's town hall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 2, 2024 3:12 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 2, 2024 3:13 AM

The Eat, Pray, Love author said something about sitting outside in Italy, and some of the men who walked by were so gorgeous that she wanted to stand up and applaud.

by Anonymousreply 59May 2, 2024 4:00 AM

^ peak frau behaviour

by Anonymousreply 60May 2, 2024 6:34 AM

[quote]Iran and Turkey.

You must be kidding. Iran is quite the opposite, women are beautiful there, much more than men.

by Anonymousreply 61May 2, 2024 6:51 AM

Italian men are scary gorgeous. Sure, there are uggos but the amount of hot Italian men in that country is insane. It’s hilarious that they don’t even know that they’re hot. A dime a dozen. The women - they get better looking with age, as someone else pointed out. It depends on the area of the country. Monica Bellucci is gorgeous. Linda Evangelista’s parents were both born in Italy and she’s one of the most beautiful women ever born. Then there are the Patti LuPones… I think Patti said that she never felt beautiful until she went to Italy.

by Anonymousreply 62May 2, 2024 7:22 AM

[quote] One thing Italian men don't have are butts.

Right, and Africans have tiny asses too. Are you drunk? Italian men are known for their big asses and wide hips.

by Anonymousreply 63May 2, 2024 7:25 AM

R60 I am a man who despised that book and I too would applaud. My first boyfriend was Italian. I kick myself daily for never having had sex with him. Granted he was 18 and I was 15 then so that was a huge factor. Plus we lasted barely a year due to living 40 miles apart. We're still friends to this day. Probably one of the very few men I would've bottomed for.

by Anonymousreply 64May 2, 2024 7:28 AM

[quote]Then there are the Patti LuPones… I think Patti said that she never felt beautiful until she went to Italy.

Damn, the women of Italy are plain relative the high quality of the men. No one ventured that they were so ugly as a class to make Patti LuPone look remotely good.

by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2024 7:38 AM

It's not that Spanish women don't care about their looks, but they seem adept at doing well with what they have without a lot of fuss. They also look good for their age.

This is actress Belén Lopéz (Mar de Plástico series) at 54. I have seen her in restaurants and on the street and she always looks beautiful and at ease, with some fun and no fuss to her look - typical of a lot of Spanish women of many ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 2, 2024 7:53 AM

R57 I pass that statue almost every single day in Piazza dei Signori here in Florence. Statues like that are part of my theory as to why male beauty is the standard of beauty here in Italy. Everyone here has grown up here staring at these immaculately sculptured figures of perfect male bodies. If you look at the art from the ancient up through Baroque the men's bodies are articulated down to the finest details, veins, toes, lips. They depict muscles I didn't even know exist. While the women tend to be in schmattas from neck to feet. And some of the women look like male bodies with screwed on hard tits. The women are always an after thought in the art. It's the naked male form in public spaces that is praised.

When it comes to sexual activity between men, it's another reason I think Italian men are much more fluid and it isn't a thing for me to have sex with other men. Culturally it was very accepted by Romans, and the boys grow up appreciating male bodies. In the locker rooms here the men, regardless, are always checking each other out - whether out of appreciation of desire. And funny enough these statues are the reason I think the Foot Fetish quotient is much higher here too. Italians literrally grow up at the feet of of them, the first part their eyes reach as they sexually mature. Some of the feet of these statues you do just want to kiss - strong, masculine, carved in stone, larger than life.

by Anonymousreply 67May 2, 2024 7:56 AM

[quote]Right, and Africans have tiny asses too. Are you drunk? Italian men are known for their big asses and wide hips.

R63 I am gonig by what I acutally see everyday in the streets and the men I have had sex with. Italian men for the most part have twinkish bodies with little asses. You rarely see hight tight, pert strong butts. And if they do have an ass, it tends to be feminine, full not firm.

[quote]No one ventured that they were so ugly as a class to make Patti LuPone look remotely good.

R65, I don't think it's that Patti LuPone was prettier than the Italian women. I think it's more that Italian men appreciate a plain looking woman. So the attention the men gave her for her plainess is what made her feel beautiful, I am assuming.

I wish I had pics of some of the examples of this exact thing. You will see someone looking like Antonio Sebato Jr. walking, holding hands, kissing Pam from the office.

by Anonymousreply 68May 2, 2024 8:07 AM

Israel. You know it’s true.

by Anonymousreply 69May 2, 2024 10:28 AM

R61, there are lots of hot Turkish and Iranian men. Dark hair, hairy, colored eyes, handsome faces. What's not to like physically?

by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2024 7:24 AM

R70, he wasn't saying that the men are not handsome. He was just saying it's one of the places where a woman's beauty rivals a mans.

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2024 10:04 AM

True R71. I said that Iranian women are renowned for their beauty and more so than men.

by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2024 10:12 AM

I'm just going to add here that most all older men look prettier tn older women. It's as plain as the nose on your face. Beautiful-looking men are everywhere, women not as much.

by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2024 10:51 AM

Agree that the poster who lives in Italy and gets a lot of local ass described a prevalent body type there. I think the big-assed Italian men are the Italian Americans. They eat a heavier diet and bigger portions than they do in Italy, and may have some interbreeding with big-butted nationalities in their lineage.

by Anonymousreply 74May 4, 2024 10:52 AM

R73 where do you live? Men have better, thicker skin and are more muscly, but they mostly tend to let themselves go very soon, eat unhealthy food, smoke, don't exercise and don't go out much so they become overweight, have sickly, grey complexion and hit the wall young. While women tend to take care of their diet, go to pilates, hiking etc and remain fit, have nicer complexion. Of course make up and clothes help.

by Anonymousreply 75May 4, 2024 12:25 PM

Spanish men are so gorgeous that beautiful females are practically invisible.

by Anonymousreply 76May 4, 2024 12:29 PM

I haven't noticed many beautiful people of either sex in Spain. They are not an ugly nation, some are gorgeous (I have seen one really beautiful Andalusian woman), but most of them are average.

I find Italian to be prettier and they have better style.

by Anonymousreply 77May 4, 2024 1:19 PM

Anyone who claims older men outshine older women must be ignoring all the bald guys. Baldness is TRAGIC.

by Anonymousreply 78May 4, 2024 1:32 PM

[quote]Israel. You know it’s true.

Ehh, I don't know. Israeli women are pretty damn hot too.

by Anonymousreply 79May 4, 2024 1:34 PM

R72, that may be true, but hidden underneath all of those layers -- who would know?

by Anonymousreply 80May 4, 2024 9:15 PM

Greece.

by Anonymousreply 81May 4, 2024 9:35 PM

[quote] Ehh, I don't know. Israeli women are pretty damn hot too.

Not a bit of it. Look at the IDF. Hot men as far as the eye can see. Whereas the women are short fugsters with waist-length hair.

by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2024 10:23 PM

I was going to post Brazil but I think I already have.

by Anonymousreply 83May 4, 2024 10:44 PM

R82 Oh, I'm not going to argue the hotness of Israeli men. I'm just saying they're not alone. The first thing google autofills when you type in 'Israeli wom-' is 'Israeli women beautiful'. There are plain people in Israel obviously, it's just that it goes straight from plain to stupidly beautiful. It's like a country comprised of 5's and 10s exclusively. Even Netanyahu was once a hottie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 4, 2024 10:45 PM

[quote] Greece.

Pretty much any country where the men are known for being hairy and scruffy (see hirsutism) . . . the same principle sometimes applies to the ladies. 😂

by Anonymousreply 85May 4, 2024 10:54 PM

[quote]the same principle sometimes applies to the ladies

My friiend went to Brazil a couple of years ago and she thought the men were good looking but a lot of women had hairy legs...

by Anonymousreply 86May 4, 2024 11:01 PM

Espana.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 5, 2024 3:56 AM

R84 That’s the thing. You see these girls as 10s. I see them as plain, provincial, gawky kids with awkward smiles, fried hair and in a few cases injected lips.

Bibi was indeed as handsome in his youth as his heart is black, but regarding the men, we are in agreement.

by Anonymousreply 88May 6, 2024 6:52 PM

I always enjoy waking up and having breakfast watching my Massimiliano Ossini on UnaMattina here in Italy. He's a pretty man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 7, 2024 9:45 PM

Here is his interviewing a soldier on the anniversary of the Italian Army. The soldier's lips alone...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 7, 2024 9:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!