Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Progressives seem to think the right to free speech includes the right to compel others to listen.

“But restrictions on “disruption” to “ordinary activities” inherently suppresses the underlying intent of creating disruption of many protests that express progressive political views.”

Disruption is speech! Help! Help! We’re being oppressed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 6:32 PM

Of course they do.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 1:25 PM

I didn’t find this so obvious until this Princeton student made it more or less explicit, but it helps me understand why so many apparently intelligent people defend the encampments as “free speech.”

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 1:36 PM

If they feel so strongly about their message, the best place to protest is in Israel itself, not on US university campuses. Or better yet, go to Gaza and volunteer.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 2:27 PM

[quote] Progressives seem to think the right to free speech includes the right to compel others to listen.

You're just NOW noticing that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 3:09 PM

I'm sure they'll visit Gaza once it's turned into beachfront property by Jared Kushner.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 4:41 PM

Yeah Jared Kushner running the ME like that. lol

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 4:57 PM

Oh, and the Right doesn't do the same with protests? Are you living under a rock?

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 6:10 PM

YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME AND YOU WILL BE CONVINCED

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 6:16 PM

All protests are going to be in your face while they last, but the idea of permanent encampments and blocking traffic seem more in favor on the left than on the right. Most right wing protests seem more inward-directed, like a pep rally. They are entertaining each other and showing their flags.

Obviously Jan 6 was different. That was following orders from their Fuhrer who had disruption in mind, but I don’t think it would have happened spontaneously.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 6:20 PM

These fuckwits are doing the greatest levelling up campaign for post-secondary American education since the introduction of the SAT test after WWII. Except this time, instead of giving lower class Americans access to elite education, it is rendering elite education disqualifying from future employability. Hiring graduates from Ivies is now a demonstrable business risk.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 6:25 PM

Also, the faculty at Columbia are going to vote “no confidence’ in the President . They are basically calling her a fascist for shutting down an encampment on the campus that protests 18 hours a day indefinitely and excludes other students on the basis of their political opinions. They see it solely from the point of view of the rights of the protestors, not from the point of view of everyone else who might not want to hear pro-Palestinian rhetoric and signs continually for months on end.

Because they either endorse the cause or the idea of progressive protest, they ignore the rights of everyone else

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!