Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do Bees Have Funerals?

Somehow a yellow jacket got stuck in between a window and the screen and expired. What was surprising was that before I could remove it I noticed other bees hovering just outside and kind of staring at it. Maybe a memorial service? I am wondering how they knew where it was and why they congregated there, like they were paying their respects or trying to figure out if they could save it.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2024 9:25 PM

They attended Gloria Swanson's funeral in "Killer Bees" but weren't entirely respectful of other mourners.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 9:19 PM

Can I have your stuff, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 9:50 PM

Yellow Jackets aren't bees, OP.

Was it bees hovering outside, or other wasps?

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 9:52 PM

So, was it yellow jackets or bees?

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 9:59 PM

Why didn’t you video it and make a bee movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 10:00 PM

[quote]Do Bees Have Funerals?

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2024 10:04 PM

Bumblebee!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2024 10:13 PM

[quote]So, was it yellow jackets or bees?

Yellow Jacket.

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2024 10:24 PM

OMG. They're coming for me.

[quote]If a bee dies naturally then it will not attract other bees to it, however if you kill a bee then it will produce a pheromone that will attract other bees from its own colony but it will not attract random bees from different colonies because all colonies have a different smell of pheromones.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2024 10:28 PM

Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2024 10:33 PM

Yellow Jackets are sometimes attracted to window sills as a site to build a nest.

A secondary consideration is that they are carnivorous, subsisting on dead bees, wasps, or other insects. They probably were interested in eating the dead one, but couldn't get through the window screen.

At least one of them did get through, so you should probably check to see how secure the screen is. Trust me, you don't want them getting in.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2024 10:40 PM

Crows do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2024 10:43 PM

[quote]They probably were interested in eating the dead one, but couldn't get through the window screen.

Jeez. They eat it?? I realize how it happened now. No hole in screen. The window was open and when I went out one flew in the door and across the room where it tried to get out. I then shut the window, trapping the poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2024 10:59 PM

You might check the eaves of your house or porch, R13. There might be a nest, accounting for the one who came in by the door, and the several congregated outside the screen.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2024 11:07 PM

[quote] Do Bees Have Funerals?

No, but little children who are killed by bees do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2024 11:12 PM

Yeah thanks R14. A few years ago, bees built a hive inside a wooden retaining wall next to the stairs to my house. I got stung a few times and then hired someone to come and seal it up. Every year since then, around this time, I notice the round fuzzy bee (queen?) appears and seems to be looking for the old nest. She never bothers me. Then the yellow jackets come. They are more aggressive but don't sting.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2024 11:18 PM

This post’s title is fabulous, and also should become a Hallmark TV-movie starring Melissa Gilbert and Bowen Yang!

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2024 1:45 AM

"Do Bees Have Funerals?"

I keep hearing it in one of those NPR voices.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2024 1:59 AM

[quote] other bees hovering

Yellow jackets aren’t bees.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2024 2:40 AM

Does anyone know if yellow jackets are actual bees?

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2024 2:55 AM

I'd like to see cute furry bees at an Irish wake. They'd be drinking fermented honey and getting wasted. Poor bees lamenting their dead, furry, comrades. Eventually the bitchy queen bee would tell them to get back to work. Poor bees.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2024 3:32 AM

[quote] Does anyone know if yellow jackets are actual bees?

I don't know, but I can tell you that American buffalo are land dwellers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2024 3:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2024 3:53 AM

No, Rose, they hold memorial services.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2024 3:58 AM

They'd be drinking Bee's Knees at the wake, R21.

RIP🐝

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2024 4:03 AM

Are honey bees bees?

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2024 4:51 AM

Former DL fave Drew Bees?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2024 4:57 AM

Fatty Arbuckle is the bees knees.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2024 5:00 AM

Yes and they sit shivah.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 5:06 AM

Shit shivah.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2024 5:09 AM

If it was bees they were shaming and cheering. If it was other yellow jackets they were commiserating.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2024 9:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!