Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Netflix Series "A Man in Full"

Anyone caught this yet? Don't bother. It's a MESS! Poorly written, directed even worse, and some of the most ham-fisted acting since Nicolas Cage decided to make a film called Zandalee. Jeff Daniels plays a business tycoon who gets taken down on the eve of his 60th birthday. Yes, you heard me. 60. Jeff Daniels is, in real life, 69, and in this series is lit to look 75. And he basically starts out at Foghorn Leghorn level and has nowhere to go from there.

Do not waste your time.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2024 11:01 PM

Cage made two good movies, Moonstruck and Peggy Sue Got Married.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2024 9:53 PM

The book was terrible too.

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2024 10:10 PM

The book was fun.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2024 10:29 PM

Tom Wolfe simply does not adapt well. Even is good adaptation, “The Right Stuff”, is overstuffed and lethargic to watch in one sitting.

I’m sure Daniels was made up to resemble John Portman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2024 11:00 PM

The book was very much of the 1990s like Bonfire was of the 1980s. Did they keep it a period piece?

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2024 11:40 PM

The problem with A Man in Full is that the place it is about, Atlanta, was transitioning from a city with a white elite to a black elite and a city with regional significance to a city with international significance when it was written. That period of time is so specific and no longer has much relevance; Atlanta is now Black Hollywood, Black Beverly Hills. No one remembers John Portman or Ted Turner; CNN doesn’t exist downtown. There really was very little reason to go back and examine the sociology of this period.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2024 12:29 AM

Atlanta isn’t a place of “international significance” and certainly wasn’t in the 90s It’s a an overgrown second or third string city. The elite is as white as ever—you may have some wealthy African Americans, but the elite is as white as ever. It will probably have a white mayor in the next decade and the people who bankroll the non-profit sector are a few developers, that awful Hime Depot guy, the Coca Cola fortunes and the Jewish community.

R4 is more or less right. The Right Stuff is weighted down by the earnestness of the task at hand and Wolfe’s nastiness toward John Glenn was very much downplayed in the film—taken literally from the book it would take a hero and make him less sympathetic.

John Portman tackiness would only work is something that was as camp as the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2024 12:48 AM

R2 here. Loved RIght Stuff and Bonfire.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2024 1:24 AM

It got a rave in Deadline.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2024 1:44 AM

I read this book and remember nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2024 2:30 AM

The book is better approached as a character study.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2024 3:09 AM

I did think the whole horse scene was hilarious. And his wife admonishing, “These are liberal democrats!!!” I’ll keep watching. But the new HACKS season dropped so maybe not right away.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2024 8:25 PM

Poor Diane Lane. Can't they find anything better for her to do?

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2024 8:28 PM

I liked it. Another reason never to read Datalounge reviewers. You cunts don't like ANYTHING.

Tom Pelphrey was marvelous. I hope that was his real cock. Either way, it rose to the occasion in glorious fashion. He never really registered for me prior to this (I'd already given up GL when he appeared). Now I want to see anything he's in. Is he a gay?

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2024 10:18 PM

I remember loving the book when it first came out years ago. Loving it except for the final quarter in which the plotlines all seemed to peter out, not unlike Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities.

But does Jeff Daniels play the old billionaire businessman? I imagined him then as Wilford Brimley and his wife as an older Kathy Bates. How could these roles be played by Jeff Daniels and Diane Lane??

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2024 10:27 PM

[quote] I liked it. Another reason never to read Datalounge reviewers. You cunts don't like ANYTHING.

Or you just have shitty taste.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2024 11:38 PM

R15 - But does Jeff Daniels play the old billionaire businessman?

Yes, he plays Charlie. The character is supposed to be about 60, but a broken down 60. Jeff Daniels is good casting.

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2024 11:51 PM

Jeff Daniels is excellent in this, but I think they should have kept it as a 1990s period piece. Charlie Croker in the book was a developer who just kept expanding the footprint of Atlanta in a Tom Wolfe metaphor about manifest destiny. Freaknik was also a part of the book and two episodes in it's only been hinted at.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2024 4:04 AM

I’m going to watch it ten times just to spite OP.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2024 4:06 AM

The ending was awful.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2024 11:22 PM

More on Tom Pelphrey's dick.

Try opening in incognito/private if you hit a paywall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2024 7:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2024 5:31 PM

Uh, yeah, that's a fake, hon

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2024 5:34 PM

How do you know?

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2024 5:38 PM

They don't mention it's a prosthetic in the Vulture article at R21.

Normally they do if it's true.

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2024 9:12 PM

Are you blind? Look at the way the whole apparatus sticks out from his stomach.

God, some of you old queens are so desperate for any glimpse at a cock.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2024 9:29 PM

And you, old queen r26, are the typical DLer, desperate for ANYTHING to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2024 10:19 PM

Sorry you were called out for being desperate for cock, hon. But no one is complaining. You asked if it was real and I answered. That's not a complaint. Don't add stupid to desperate.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2024 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!