Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York The Invisible City (1961)

Hosted by Eddie Albert. Nice documentary about a long gone NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2024 1:37 AM

Thanks for the link to this. I just finished watching it, it was very well made. I was just born back when this was made, but I grew up in NYC and I still have a vivid recollection of 1960s Manhattan as a kid. Unfortunately so much of the uniqueness of New York is gone now. The newspaper stands, the excitement of Times Square, the pastoral quiet of Central Park, the quirky and bohemian vibrancy of Greenwich Village, and one of my favorites the Staten Island Ferry at the beginning, which always excited me as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2024 2:15 AM

R1- Don't forget the Automat

I LOVED those as a child in the 1970's.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2024 2:25 AM

Here's a Pan Am short film about New York, also from 1961. Apparently that was the year airlines began showing movies on flights, so this may have been a film they showed to the passengers. It's actually pretty well made, if not to the level of The Invisible City doc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2024 1:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!