Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

20 Formerly Popular Deserts That Have Faded Into History

Jello molds with lima beans were GROSS but I miss Pineapple Upside Down Cake- that was tasty 😋

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370May 14, 2024 8:22 PM

WHET the Chocolate Wafer Icebox Cake?

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2024 5:56 PM

Marshmelliwed Meatballs

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2024 6:03 PM

MARSHMELLOWED MEATBALLS!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2024 6:04 PM

If the trend is towards more health conscious desserts (as the narrator repeatedly says), why are there so damn many fat pig people walking around?

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2024 6:13 PM

I feel like nobody talks about the Gobi desert anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2024 6:13 PM

The German Chocolate Cake (courtesy of Baker's Chocolate, coconut, and pecans) hasn't faded into history at our house.

It remains alive and well (if only for a day or two) and very, very toothsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2024 6:15 PM

r1 Well, for one thing, Nabisco stopped making the necessary chocolate wafers.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2024 6:32 PM

I think pineapple upside down cake is still fairly popular. And there have been updated versions with different types of fruit, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2024 6:33 PM

I still see Pineapple Upside Down Cake on sale in the bakery at my local grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2024 6:38 PM

I used to eat cobbler at restaurants all the time as a kid but I feel like I haven't seen that in forever.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2024 6:41 PM

The narrator of this video is the[italic] Father of Lies!

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2024 6:47 PM

When I was in college in the early 80s I worked as a part time "houseman" for an old queen. He wore black velvet caftans to entertain in. His mainstay dessert was Baked Alaska, I had to bring it into the dining room flaming and make a big presentation. Then the boss would play his grand piano and pass out drunk.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2024 6:56 PM

I love pineapple upside down cake, and always have.

I’ve been experimenting with different recipes, and have now found one that is the best, with light, moist cake, surrounding pineapple still juicy.

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2024 6:57 PM

We have ambrosia salad at every BBQ and flag holiday celebration.

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2024 7:04 PM

[quote]I used to eat cobbler at restaurants all the time as a kid but I feel like I haven't seen that in forever.

R10, you should check out The Peach Cobbler Factory. Everything I've ordered from them is incredible.

My late mother made THE best fruit cobblers ever. Peach, blackberry, apple, cherry--and her from-scratch Cobbler dough--oh, mama mia! Always the perfect ratio of stewed fruit to dough/crust. Heavenly, and one of the many dishes of hers I have never been able to duplicate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2024 7:18 PM

You don't see brownies anymore. Everybody used to eat them. What happened to them?

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2024 7:32 PM

Max makes the original pineapple upside down cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2024 7:35 PM

Brownies seem popular, still, to me.

Cobblers seem ripe for a comeback. They seem easy to make, just put some whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2024 7:36 PM

Blueberry upside-down cake is a nice variation, even better with wild blueberries.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2024 8:09 PM

R19- That sounds YUMMY 😋

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2024 8:12 PM

I am making that Hersheys Syrup Cake and Boiled Chocolate Icing from that Hillbilly Lady from Youtube tomorrow.

Its probably one step up from a Dump Cake.

This Boiled Icing looks like a SHITSHOW- but we do what we must.

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2024 8:12 PM

Yep, these desserts have disappeared. Impossible to get now. It's not like you can make your own using a recipe. Impossible!

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2024 8:18 PM

R21- Wrong

Where the FAT WHORES meet to EAT!

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2024 8:21 PM

Pineapple upside-down cake is tasty, and with a few modest adjustments to ingredient measurements (and less the cherries) you get something more balanced and delicious than the overly sweet glop of some recipes.

Haven't had it by its name in 5 or 6 years, though where I live there are some restaurants that serve good variations on it, with pineapple and/or other fruit and with an emphasis on the caramelization.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2024 8:23 PM

Baked Alaska is a mainstay on cruise ships. My mom used to love Biscuit Tortoni at Italian restaurants, but I never see that on a menu.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2024 8:27 PM

And here’s an article about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2024 8:29 PM

Haven't seen Chiffon Cake is years and years, but its so easy to make compared to most of those other cakes they listed.

Should be easy to update it and let Chiffon Cake make a comeback!

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2024 8:33 PM

Only fat people eat desserts and appetizers.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2024 8:33 PM

R5 the Atacama seems to have fallen out of popularity as well.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2024 8:37 PM

R28 looks like a cross between Jabba The Hut, Goo, and Cheryl

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2024 8:40 PM

^^31 inch waist, motberfucker.

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2024 8:41 PM

Anything flaming seems to have gone out of style, present company excluded. Baked Alaska, Bananas Foster used to always be the chic dessert at nice restaurants. I haven't seen them forever

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2024 8:43 PM

[quote]Popular Deserts

Gobi? Sahara? Death Valley? Hot Springs?

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2024 8:44 PM

R28 R31 also has the IQ of the raisins she claims to eat, BITCH!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2024 8:47 PM

r33 meet r5

by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2024 8:48 PM

Does it mention Boston Cream Pie? I lov-eed that dessert as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2024 8:50 PM

r34 I'm an attorney, live in Midtown, and have more $$$ than you will ever see.

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2024 9:04 PM

^ Dude, never play the rich card. You are about to hear from 10 guys richer than you

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2024 9:11 PM

R37- I think that comment / declaration for someone joking with you about something so mundane says far more about you than it ever could about me.

Enjoy your success!

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2024 9:14 PM

[quote] I had to bring it into the dining room flaming

You or the dessert?

by Anonymousreply 40May 3, 2024 9:18 PM

I used to make the Bacardi Rum Cake a lot in the '70s. Haven't run across it in years.

by Anonymousreply 41May 3, 2024 9:18 PM

Jello molds with Lima beans? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 42May 3, 2024 9:28 PM

R37, doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 43May 3, 2024 9:29 PM

R41 I make that frequently for friends' birthdays. They love it!

by Anonymousreply 44May 3, 2024 9:35 PM

[quote]^ Dude, never play the rich card. You are about to hear from 10 guys richer than you

I'm rich enough.

by Anonymousreply 45May 3, 2024 9:48 PM

Brownies haven't disappeared. They've moved to Paris. France is now loaded with brownies and muffins.

by Anonymousreply 46May 3, 2024 9:52 PM

Cobblers are easy to make, but the only time they ever seem to turn up in restaurants is at bbq or soul food places—that’s been true for years.

Angel food cake, which was ruined by rubbery supermarket versions, seem to be making a comeback, so chiffon (basically the same thing) can’t be far behind.

Boston cream pie seems to have vanished.

The range of cakes seems more narrow than in the past: white, yellow, chocolate and that awful Red Velvet.

by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2024 10:00 PM

r25 My grandmother, French-Canadian-American, made something she called bisque tortoni every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was my very favorite part of either menu, except for the stuffing on Thanksgiving, and I looked for it for years in Italian restaurants in New York. I would order something with tortoni in the name, and what came back was ice cream. Nothing wrong with ice cream, but it wasn't my grandmother's bisque tortoni.

Years later, I learned how to cook and discovered panna cotta, and this was the actual dessert my grandmother made every year. It's very simple: cream, gelatin, vanilla, sugar, usually with the crumbled amaretti and/or a raspberry coulis. I think I'll make some soon. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2024 10:11 PM

R39- I was on a gay tour a year ago and this guy in our group told everyone that his salary is $400,000 per year- impressive- but I would never tell a bunch of people like that what my salary is. Why would he want to do that?

Another thing about this dude. He was on grindr everyday and showed everyone photos of the HOT guys he was having sex with. I saw the photos and something clicked. I realized that ALL of the guys he was hooking up with were HOOKERS. They all were hot young muscular guys posing kinda professionally for the camera and that's when I realized they were prostitutes. With his high salary he can certainly afford to pay for sex with hot guys. It's kinda sad he needed to brag about his high income and brag about the hot guys- I doubt he wanted anyone knowing they were prostitutes. Oddly I liked him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2024 10:13 PM

There’s a rich, thin attorney amongst the fatties discussing old-timey desserts. Show some respect.

by Anonymousreply 50May 3, 2024 10:17 PM

Whoremongers can be fun.

by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2024 10:17 PM

You're right r50. Maybe the poor thing has nowhere else to go.

by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2024 10:25 PM

My mom used to make a great pineapple upside down cake. I’ll have to see if I can find the recipe. She hand-wrote a lot of her recipes on cards and gave them to me. (She had beautiful and perfect Palmer-method handwriting.)

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2024 11:01 PM

Anyone care to post the list so we don’t have to watch a video?

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2024 11:14 PM

My mom made the pineapple upside-down cake from the Bisquick box recipe. It was very good. I think you do need to use those red maraschino cherries, visually, at least.

by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2024 11:35 PM

My mother would make pineapple upside down cake for my birthday since it was my favorite.

They serve it at the 50s prime time cafe at Disney World and I had it there a few months ago, but it wasn’t nearly as good as Mom’s.

by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2024 11:44 PM

I baked a rhubarb upside cake last Sunday

Two cans of pineapple are in my pantry. I might give making a pineapple upside down cake a try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 4, 2024 12:13 AM

How did the rhubarb cake turn out? I like the tartness of rhubarb.

Anyone remember TRIFLE?

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2024 12:20 AM

You rarely see Black Forest cake anymore.

Peach melba

Chess pie

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2024 12:23 AM

Did you steal the rhubarb for it r57?

by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2024 12:39 AM

I still see Black Forest Cake in the supermarket bakery section, but the chocolate tastes artificial.

I used to make Peach Melva as a waiter and I barely remember how to do it. Our recipe used Kirsch.

Tell me about Chess Pie.

by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2024 12:41 AM

I see Boston Cream Pie all the time, just look in the dessert section of the grocery store. Something else I noticed, they don't have cake mix commercials anymore.

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2024 12:47 AM

I have always wanted to try Baked Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 63May 4, 2024 12:51 AM

[quote]My mom made the pineapple upside-down cake from the Bisquick box recipe. It was very good. I think you do need to use those red maraschino cherries, visually, at least.

Mine did too! I think the cake part was basically the Velvet Crumb Cake recipe without the crumb topping. It really was an excellent complement to the pineapples.

by Anonymousreply 64May 4, 2024 1:12 AM

[quote]I have always wanted to try Baked Alaska.

Coincidentally I just had it last week! I was at a very old-school restaurant (>100 years old) with some friends who were celebrating a birthday and an anniversary. I don't even know if it's on the menu or they just asked them to make it for them.

The only other time I've eaten it was on a cruise over 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2024 1:13 AM

Whoopie Pies

by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2024 1:34 AM

German chocolate cake, with that canned "German chocolate" frosting, is far too sweet and fake tasting to be anything toward a tantalizing cake. It's just plain gross. I'll take a plain chocolate cake a la Hershey's Cocoa can any day over that shit.

by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2024 1:41 AM

My grandmother used to serve jello on a piece of lettuce with a dollop of miracle whip.

She also made chess pie (homemade crust) and derby pie. I tried the derby pie recipe once and it came out pretty well!

My aunt still makes coconut cake every Christmas which I love.

I remember my mom making black Forrest cake and German chocolate for my dad’s birthdays.

by Anonymousreply 68May 4, 2024 1:41 AM

r67, the 1997 edition of Joy of Cooking has the most wonderful German Chocolate Cake recipe. Frosting, too. I used to get so many requests for it.

by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2024 1:45 AM

R69, I'm sure that is delicious! I'm merely just dissing the processed one that you can make with the can and box cake mix.

by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2024 1:48 AM

Pancakes Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2024 1:59 AM

R59 could not be more wrong, if he went out and tried…!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2024 2:09 AM

My Mom learned to make something called a Jewish Pound Cake from my Aunt Madeline. It had nuts and raisins and was very dense. I never heard of the dessert anywhere else than in my family.

by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2024 2:10 AM

R12- I assume he was FLAMING too.

by Anonymousreply 74May 4, 2024 2:15 AM

r65 was it good?

My sister LOVED the Tunnel of Fudge cake. My mom used to make it for her bday every year. I hated it. Dry and way too rich for me.

Pineapple upside down cake rocks.

by Anonymousreply 75May 4, 2024 2:20 AM

I’ve been dieting so long I scarcely remember any of these desserts. I feel like I’m heedlessly throwing caution to the winds when I splash out on a small carton of raspberries and eat half of them at a single sitting while telling myself that they provide a lot of fiber, which means they’re GOOD for me.

by Anonymousreply 76May 4, 2024 2:23 AM

[quote] Mine did too! I think the cake part was basically the Velvet Crumb Cake recipe without the crumb topping. It really was an excellent complement to the pineapples.

Yeah, it probably was the same base. I think the brown sugar was what made that pineapple upside-down cake good.

by Anonymousreply 77May 4, 2024 2:27 AM

[quote] I feel like I’m heedlessly throwing caution to the winds when I splash out on a small carton of raspberries and eat half of them at a single sitting while telling myself that they provide a lot of fiber, which means they’re GOOD for me.

Eating half of a small container of raspberries? That's like 15 raspberries. Where's the guilt? The price?

by Anonymousreply 78May 4, 2024 2:28 AM

r77 If you like pineapple desserts, you might be interested in this Pioneer Woman for Pineapple Bars. I guess it's sort of a variation on the traditional lemon bars. I'm hesitant to make it because of the unclear information about the crust. Can't tell what kind of cookies and she doesn't specify a brand or a weight or volume.

by Anonymousreply 79May 4, 2024 2:31 AM

Sorry -- forgot the recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 4, 2024 2:31 AM

R80, thanks. Yeah, the recipe is unclear re: the crust. Also, I'm not a great baker, but how damn hard is it to do one of these pressed (no-roll) crusts, which is basically a shortbread cookie. I think I'd just use a lemon bar recipe (that you know and like) and sub in pineapple juice and lime juice. (Not just the lime zest, lime juice is needed for the tartness.)

by Anonymousreply 81May 4, 2024 2:37 AM

Do people still make Mamie Eisenhower fudge?

Divinity is something that was prevalent when I was growing up, but nobody makes it anymore.

Rum balls used to on every Christmas table, but I haven't seen them in years.

by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2024 2:42 AM

Men

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 4, 2024 2:47 AM

The gift shop at Cracker Barrel sells some old timey candy and treats. I've seen pecan logs and pecan divinity in there.

by Anonymousreply 84May 4, 2024 2:55 AM

My boyfriend loved to torment me by making weird cakes — I like my desserts unadventurous, just load me up on chocolate. But he makes pineapple upside down cakes and chess pie all the time and I find them tolerable but I really just want the goddamned chocolate. He also used to make this fluffy white cake that was loaded with fresh fruit and whipped cream that I loved but he stopped making it because I loved it too much. There seems to be some kind of a power struggle happening through baked goods. Namely that he has all the power since I can’t bake shit.

by Anonymousreply 85May 4, 2024 3:01 AM

BAKING DOM ^

by Anonymousreply 86May 4, 2024 3:04 AM

R75, just go to a bakery and buy a multiple-layer chocolate cake with frosting on it and bring it home for your birthday. That way, you can have what you want on your birthday. BF sounds passive-aggressive with his baking, frankly. Usually, bakers are people-pleasers. Not your BF.

by Anonymousreply 87May 4, 2024 3:05 AM

Now that’s Queer Food! ^*^

by Anonymousreply 88May 4, 2024 3:05 AM

[quote][R75], just go to a bakery and buy a multiple-layer chocolate cake with frosting on it and bring it home for your birthday.

Or for a mid-morning snack!

by Anonymousreply 89May 4, 2024 4:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 4, 2024 4:20 AM

-Fondue is still pretty popular, at least outside the U.S

by Anonymousreply 91May 4, 2024 4:26 AM

OP's YouTube video: blah, blah, blah...

by Anonymousreply 92May 4, 2024 4:27 AM

"artisanal": RME

by Anonymousreply 93May 4, 2024 4:30 AM

Actually, r90, I've had something very similar to that before (which was also prunes and whipped cream) and it's absolutely delicious.

by Anonymousreply 94May 4, 2024 4:32 AM

Anything that you addd to whipped cream is going to be good. Its the bacon for sweets/desserts.

by Anonymousreply 95May 4, 2024 4:33 AM

Here's Taste of Home's vintage dessert list.

Baked Alaska seems hard for a home cook to make. I've seen YouTubers try to make it. Even the experienced cooks, like Claire Saffitz, seem to bungle it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 4, 2024 4:54 AM

Baked Pears Alicia, anymore? —Anyone!???

Twats.

by Anonymousreply 97May 4, 2024 4:55 AM

r96 it's not that hard. And guess what? We made it in 7th grade Home Economics class. It was part of our grade.

This was 1981 I think.

by Anonymousreply 98May 4, 2024 4:59 AM

Good for you, then, R98. That sounds like a cool (no pun intended) 7th grade Home Ec project.

by Anonymousreply 99May 4, 2024 5:03 AM

My grandmother (born in 1898) used to make these delicate cookies that she called "Russian Tea Cakes."

Very light, almost like a crispy crepe maybe? God I miss that. She made a great Chess Pie too.

by Anonymousreply 100May 4, 2024 5:04 AM

R1, it’s the only dessert I can reliably make. Two ingredients! But if the store is out of the cookie part—as happens around holidays—you are screwed.

by Anonymousreply 101May 4, 2024 5:09 AM

While I admit Black Forest Cake is a lot harder to come by these days, it's still a favorite of mine and I buy one every year from the local bakery (that has them full time) for my birthday. I love black forest cake and don't understand why it has disappeared. It's probably my favorite cake, or at least top three.

by Anonymousreply 102May 4, 2024 5:13 AM

I made a pineapple upside down cake in a small cast iron from a recipe online many years ago. It was so good.

by Anonymousreply 103May 4, 2024 5:17 AM

[quote]I baked a rhubarb upside cake last Sunday

[quote]Two cans of pineapple are in my pantry. I might give making a pineapple upside down cake a try.

What kind of backasswards world is this? He's whipping up upside down cakes with the execrable rhubarb, but is somehow unfamiliar with the version involving pineapple (which, unlike rhubarb, is delicious)?

You may as well make a snot upside down cake as use rhubarb.

by Anonymousreply 104May 4, 2024 9:14 AM

My grandmother used to make this plum thing from plums she grew in her backyard. It was out of this world 😋

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 4, 2024 9:16 AM

[quote] Do people still make Mamie Eisenhower fudge?

I don't know, but I make her cream many times.

by Anonymousreply 106May 4, 2024 10:58 AM

R12 Why do you put "houseman" in quotation marks? Or shouldn't we ask?

by Anonymousreply 107May 4, 2024 11:00 AM

Cherries Jubilee-which I love

by Anonymousreply 108May 4, 2024 11:04 AM

The Mojave used to be much more popular.

by Anonymousreply 109May 4, 2024 11:10 AM

R15 try the southern living peach cobbler recipe, it is Devine !

by Anonymousreply 110May 4, 2024 1:24 PM

[quote]My Mom learned to make something called a Jewish Pound Cake from my Aunt Madeline. It had nuts and raisins and was very dense. I never heard of the dessert anywhere else than in my family.

R73 - my mother also made something called Jewish pound cake.

But instead of the raisins, it had chocolate chips.

Did your mother & aunt combine the nuts/raisins with the batter?

My mother didn't: she would put some of the batter in the pan, then sprinkle the combo of walnuts, chocolate, cinnamon & sugar; then repeat that two more times.

by Anonymousreply 111May 4, 2024 1:34 PM

[quote] try the southern living peach cobbler recipe, it is Devine !

No, it's divine. I'm Devine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 4, 2024 1:50 PM

I can remember Baked Alaska and Lemon Torte, both were horrible.

by Anonymousreply 113May 4, 2024 2:07 PM

Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy.

by Anonymousreply 114May 4, 2024 2:14 PM

My mom made Baked Alaska once, for a dinner party. I thought it was good.

by Anonymousreply 115May 4, 2024 2:14 PM

My mom also made (at least once) the famous Ritz cracker mock apple pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 4, 2024 2:17 PM

^It was apparently popular during the Depression. Also - you shouldn't crumble the crackers in the pie - they look and feel more apple-like un-crumbled.

And btw it did taste exactly like apple pie and was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 117May 4, 2024 2:58 PM

I’ve never heard of “ Dacquoise” but it looks like pavlova.

by Anonymousreply 118May 4, 2024 3:04 PM

I'm with R54. Why does everything have to be done through fucking YT? A lot of us prefer to get info through reading. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 119May 4, 2024 3:50 PM

R113- My Almond Torte is fabulous.

I made a batch for my friends when I had them over for lunch in March. I bought delicious Chinese food which they enjoyed very much and figured my Almond Torte would pair well with the Chinese meal. My friend used the word superb to describe my Almond Torte.

by Anonymousreply 120May 4, 2024 4:20 PM

R116- It kind of looks like Pecan Pie without the pecans.

by Anonymousreply 121May 4, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote][R1], it’s the only dessert I can reliably make. Two ingredients! But if the store is out of the cookie part—as happens around holidays—you are screwed.

As mentioned above, the store will be PERMANENTLY out of the "cookie part" since they're no longer made.

by Anonymousreply 122May 4, 2024 4:24 PM

I used to love a good baked egg custard ... with lots of nutmeg on top. There was a cafeteria in my childhood that always had them -- in heavy green stoneware custard cups. Egg custard pie is also good ... my mother used to make it once in a while (with a regular pastry crust.)

by Anonymousreply 123May 4, 2024 4:27 PM

How about a nice Apple Brown Betty?

by Anonymousreply 124May 4, 2024 4:29 PM

Squash pie. I never see that any more. It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 125May 4, 2024 4:30 PM

R124- I make a fabulous Apple Crisp served with cold whipped cream.

It's a recipe from my mother's old East Hampton cookbook.

by Anonymousreply 126May 4, 2024 4:30 PM

Well, get her.

by Anonymousreply 127May 4, 2024 4:35 PM

Chocolate eclairs.

by Anonymousreply 128May 4, 2024 5:00 PM

[quote] You may as well make a snot upside down cake as use rhubarb.

You've obviously not had a good rhubarb dessert before. My grandmother used to make a splendid rhubarb pie.

by Anonymousreply 129May 4, 2024 5:20 PM

R82: Mamie's fudge is the just recipe on teh marshmello cream jar. People still make it because it is foolproof.

by Anonymousreply 130May 4, 2024 5:30 PM

[quote]Chocolate eclairs.

What?!?!!?

by Anonymousreply 131May 4, 2024 5:40 PM

A great strawberry rhubarb cobbler recipe if anyone needs one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 4, 2024 5:44 PM

All the girls love apple Brown Betty R124.

by Anonymousreply 133May 4, 2024 5:45 PM

Crystal Cruises served the BEST Baked Alaska. It was the highlight of every Captain’s dinner.

by Anonymousreply 134May 4, 2024 5:55 PM

Apple Brown Betty is what my ex husband called my pork chop!!!

by Anonymousreply 135May 4, 2024 5:59 PM

[quote] I can remember Baked Alaska and Lemon Torte, both were horrible.

Baked Alaska is, basically, cake and ice cream. I don't see how it was horrible unless you dislike cake and ice cream.

Same for lemon torte. What's not to like.

by Anonymousreply 136May 4, 2024 6:00 PM

[quote] Eating half of a small container of raspberries? That's like 15 raspberries. Where's the guilt? The price?

The guilt is that each raspberry cost about $1 these days

by Anonymousreply 137May 4, 2024 6:03 PM

$4 pint, $6.50 for two pints, at the farmer’s market.

by Anonymousreply 138May 4, 2024 6:09 PM

So what, though? One can easily spend $6.50 at Starbucks or Subway, McDonald's etc. Why not buy fresh raspberries.

by Anonymousreply 139May 4, 2024 6:23 PM

They are fresh at the farmer’s market! WTH?

by Anonymousreply 140May 4, 2024 6:38 PM

Do people still eat apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese on top? I remember being traumatized as a kid when I saw someone eating apple pie like this.

by Anonymousreply 141May 4, 2024 6:51 PM

German chocolate cake is often made with chocolate frosting, wo the coconut stuff was used as filling and part of the top frosting. Not as excessively sweet or chewy in texture.

by Anonymousreply 142May 4, 2024 6:56 PM

LOL R141 same here. I simply could not fathom the combination of apple pie with cheese when I was a child. Like - who first thought to pair them?? And I liked both (still do).

by Anonymousreply 143May 4, 2024 7:01 PM

I've never heard of German chocolate cake made with chocolate frosting. Maybe it's a regional variation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 4, 2024 7:06 PM

[quote]R144: I've never heard of German chocolate cake made with chocolate frosting. Maybe it's a regional variation.

That's more a feature of store-bought versions of German Sweet Chocolate Cake. But in all the examples I've seen, "the coconut stuff" was still either used on the top of the cake, or between the layers, or piped onto it for the borders. It still appears 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 on or in the cake.

(example below, as filling)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 4, 2024 7:22 PM

The Sahara is making a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 146May 4, 2024 7:22 PM

@r141, This midwestern boy wouldn't eat his apple pie without a nice slice of cheddar on top. Although I will admit that these days it doesn't seem quite as appetizing to me

by Anonymousreply 147May 4, 2024 7:28 PM

Try this one. It's bait for men, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 4, 2024 7:30 PM

You’re banned from New England, flyover heathen^

by Anonymousreply 149May 4, 2024 7:31 PM

[quote]R67: German chocolate cake, with that canned "German chocolate" frosting, is far too sweet and fake tasting to be anything toward a tantalizing cake. It's just plain gross. I'll take a plain chocolate cake a la Hershey's Cocoa can any day over that shit.

*GASP*

Do you mean that the only form in which you've ever had that cake was with the canned shit frosting???

Then you've never actually had German Chocolate Cake.

Making the frosting yourself isn't difficult. And the cake cannot do without it.

There's no excuse for canned frosting, ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 4, 2024 7:34 PM

^ New England, Old England, who cares 🙄

by Anonymousreply 151May 4, 2024 7:34 PM

[quote]Popular Deserts

like the Mojave?

by Anonymousreply 152May 4, 2024 7:41 PM

When I was little, my dad took us to lunch in a department store restaurant. (There used to be nice places to eat in department stores.) Anyway, dessert: apple pie with a slice of cheese, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and a cinnamon syrup. So good. Honestly, the cheese may have just been a Kraft Singles slice.

It's a sweet / savory thing.

by Anonymousreply 153May 4, 2024 7:43 PM

Chess pie is a regional thing---I think it's usually associated with Kentucky and Tennessee. A rather stiff custardy pie. I've actually seen it more often lately (and I live nowhere near either state) than in the last 20-30 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 4, 2024 8:02 PM

Fudge pie has origins in the same place as chess pie and also is a custard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 4, 2024 8:03 PM

One of the boxed cake manufacturers had a Boston Creme Pie cake mix that was incredible. So scrumptious. No BCP I ever purchased since, has ever measured up to this boxed mix variety. I wish they still had this in the marketplace.

by Anonymousreply 156May 4, 2024 8:04 PM

I had never heard of putting cheddar on blueberry pie until I watched Pulp Fiction. The girlfriend of Bruce Willis's character talks about craving that. It sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 157May 4, 2024 8:07 PM

People eat fruit and cheese, together. If you look at a cheese board, there's fruit on there (grapes, pears, apples, figs, etc.). So, it's actually a natural combination.

by Anonymousreply 158May 4, 2024 8:52 PM

R141 I used to think it was very strange too. Then I tried it and to my surprise it was pretty good!

by Anonymousreply 159May 4, 2024 9:08 PM

I remember my mother making a mincemeat pie one Christmas and no one touched it. She never made it again.

by Anonymousreply 160May 4, 2024 9:15 PM

There are still “chocolate” wafers out there but they have absolutely NO chocolate taste.

by Anonymousreply 161May 4, 2024 9:16 PM

I never see anyone make peanut brittle anymore. It used to be a popular homemade candy when I was a kid. Same thing with pralines.

by Anonymousreply 162May 4, 2024 9:16 PM

R21 here, I made that Hersheys Chocolate Syrup Cake- I used the 'healthier" Syrup- that just has '5 ingredients" in it-

Anyway, the cake is amazing.

The boiled frosting WAS a bitch. It said 3 minutes of boiling, but it never passed the "BIG BALL" test- or something like that. (You dip your balls in water)

So i let that shit boil for 5-6 minutes and said fuck it!.

It was not right but now that it's cooled down, its pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 163May 4, 2024 9:21 PM

I used to make a good chocolate syrup with Frye's Cocoa.

by Anonymousreply 164May 4, 2024 9:27 PM

r162 I've made both of those in the past few years. They're both fairly easy.

by Anonymousreply 165May 4, 2024 10:06 PM

I was waiting for Pancakes Barbara to make the list, like a poster above.

I don’t understand why the video said that chiffon cakes are disappearing. Every box cake sold in America uses oil as the fat and is a chiffon cake. It probably the most common cake baked in the US at least.

My grandmother made a variation of pineapple upside down cake in which she cooked two cans of crushed pineapple in heavy syrup until the juice had reduced and thickened and this was used between still warm cake layers and to lightly ice the cake. So much simpler.

For anyone interested in chess pie, I’d recommend the chocolate chess pie recipe from the Angus Barn restaurant in Raleigh, NC. It’s easy to find with a Google search. Just dive ingredients that I always have in my pantry and it comes together in ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 166May 4, 2024 10:22 PM

r166 Here's the recipe. How is this different from a regular chocolate cream pie? Or the kind made with pudding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 4, 2024 10:30 PM

Is a chocolate cream pie a custard that is cooked then poured into the shell? A chocolate chess pie is very fudgy, almost like a very wet brownie, not airy and light as I expect a chocolate cream pie is.

The main difference in ingredients is that a chess pie doesn’t have any milk, just eggs, sugar, chocolate, butter, and vanilla. I add a teaspoon or two of instant coffee and a scant tablespoon of orange zest. Make sure to use a shallow pie shell, the recipe doesn’t make enough to fill a traditional depth pie pan.

by Anonymousreply 168May 4, 2024 10:39 PM

In Quebec there's "tarte au sucre", sugar pie, but the filling is more "sucre a la creme" or fudge, made with butter, whole milk, brown sugar, and vanilla. Sometime a maple flavoring is added.

Real maple sugar pies might be easier to get online.

by Anonymousreply 169May 4, 2024 10:53 PM

I really love boston cream pie.

Pop Tarts recently had a 'Boston Cream Pie Donut' flavor, and it was shockingly good.

by Anonymousreply 170May 5, 2024 4:19 AM

What's so good about Boston cream pies? I think I haven't had a good one. It just all seems soft. I do like custards and creams and chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 171May 5, 2024 4:53 AM

My friend makes peanut brittle every Christmas, and usually at least twice during the season...but often 3 or 4 times because everybody loves it. It is rather easy, just time consuming and standing in the kitchen to stir it and be patient is key.

by Anonymousreply 172May 5, 2024 5:02 AM

See's Candies makes a good peanut brittle. I don't even like peanut brittle, but a friend asked me to buy her some (I did). She was enjoying eating it so much, I said, "Let me taste some of that." It really was good.

I'm guessing that you've got to eat it while it's crisp. It won't keep well in humid weather.

by Anonymousreply 173May 5, 2024 5:18 AM

R23 Me! 🙌

by Anonymousreply 174May 5, 2024 5:28 AM

My mother used to make strawberry rhubarb pie. So good.

by Anonymousreply 175May 5, 2024 5:32 AM

R28 And?

by Anonymousreply 176May 5, 2024 5:33 AM

R126 Can I have the recipe?

by Anonymousreply 177May 5, 2024 5:37 AM

Nesselrode pie is one that has truly faded into history--popular between the world wars and into the 50s: cream filling with candied fruit and chestnuts. Sounds utterly disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 178May 5, 2024 11:13 AM

[quote]Does it mention Boston Cream Pie? I lov-eed that dessert as a kid.

Boston Cream Pie was named the official dessert of Massachusetts in 1996. It remains very popular there.

by Anonymousreply 179May 5, 2024 11:23 AM

Here's that disgusting nesselrode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180May 5, 2024 11:26 AM

[quote]I used to make Peach Melva as a waiter and I barely remember how to do it. Our recipe used Kirsch.

I assume you mean Peach Melba, unless you're talking about Jerry Seinfeld's favorite dessert, Peach Mulva.

by Anonymousreply 181May 5, 2024 11:26 AM

Probably the most popular and cool dessert when I was a kid was the PARFAIT. Everybody loved them.

I always remember that on TV sitcoms, moms would make pineapple upside-down cake. But I never saw or had it in real life.

Did people regularly consume Pancakes Barbara? I never heard of it until I saw The Women.

by Anonymousreply 182May 5, 2024 12:30 PM

People rarely seem to make pudding anymore, so that probably killed off parfaits.

by Anonymousreply 183May 5, 2024 12:52 PM

Dig in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184May 5, 2024 1:07 PM

Get a Boston Cream Pie from the source, Boston's Parker House Hotel. $99.95 via Goldbelly. Free shipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 5, 2024 2:15 PM

Baked Alaska

by Anonymousreply 186May 5, 2024 2:22 PM

[quote]A Boston cream pie is a cake with a cream filling. The dessert acquired its name when cakes and pies were baked in the same pans, and the words were used interchangeably. In the late 19th century, this type of cake was variously called a "cream pie", a "chocolate cream pie", or a "custard cake".

In case anyone was wondering.

by Anonymousreply 187May 5, 2024 2:26 PM

I got the Boston Creme Pie from Goldbelly from flour Bakery- Boston

It was the definition of meh.

I strongly prefer a yellow cake with. chocolate frosting vs. That custard, which is really the only difference. (And topped with a chocolate ganache)

by Anonymousreply 188May 5, 2024 2:29 PM

That Pancakes Barbara is really basic. Maybe it's the combination of textures that would make it taste good?

It seems pretty bland. And the quality of the "chocolate sauce" probably makes or breaks it-

It would all have to be homemade and then use a really good quality icecream-

by Anonymousreply 189May 5, 2024 2:32 PM

Yellow cake with chocolate frosting (incl. chocolate whipped cream) is my favorite cake, too, r188, but I do love crème pâtissière as well. In any case, thanks for the Goldbelly reportage. You may have just saved me a hundred bucks.

My favorite recipe for yellow cake is the basic 1-2-3-4 cake you'll find in lots of cookbooks, and in profusion on the internet. I discovered it in an Alice Waters cookbook years ago.

by Anonymousreply 190May 5, 2024 2:38 PM

My favorite is white cake with peanut butter frosting.

by Anonymousreply 191May 5, 2024 2:41 PM

R37 Yep, that sounds like something an attorney would say, all right.

by Anonymousreply 192May 5, 2024 2:57 PM

[quote]Nesselrode pie is one that has truly faded into history--popular between the world wars and into the 50s: cream filling with candied fruit and chestnuts. Sounds utterly disgusting.

Actually even into the 60s. Aunt Bee makes one on The Andy Griffith Show.

by Anonymousreply 193May 5, 2024 2:58 PM

R192- Sadly yeah. from one response you can feel a sociopath/elitist vibe.

by Anonymousreply 194May 5, 2024 3:01 PM

Jelly rolls are something else to have disappeared, although the similar yule log cake pops up at Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 195May 5, 2024 3:40 PM

Croque en bouche

by Anonymousreply 196May 5, 2024 3:48 PM

r195 - i wouldn't say they've disappeared. In fact, I usually seem them around Valentine's Day.

I actually made one a couple years ago that had raspberry filling and chocolate ganache on the outside. It was delicious and an interesting (somewhat delicate) process to make it.

by Anonymousreply 197May 5, 2024 3:49 PM

Shoo-Fly Pie and Black Bottom Pie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198May 5, 2024 4:03 PM

Shoo-fly pie is pretty regional. It's also excessively sweet.

by Anonymousreply 199May 5, 2024 4:12 PM

It's not jelly-filled, but cream-roll cakes are a popular Japanese dessert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200May 5, 2024 4:13 PM

[quote] People rarely seem to make pudding anymore, so that probably killed off parfaits.

The parfaits we had weren't made of pudding, they were made of some kind of whipped cream, ice cream, and fruit, or sweetened fruit with syrup.

by Anonymousreply 201May 5, 2024 4:29 PM

If you're from northern New England you may remember Indian Pudding used to be a big thing. A grainy, cornmeal and molasses (and/or syrup) thing that you served vanilla ice cream on top of.

by Anonymousreply 202May 5, 2024 4:31 PM

Let me tell you something from new England that was SO GOOD-

Grapenut Custard/ Grapennut Pudding

I even bought grapenuts a few months ago to make this.

I am too lazy and figure the memory is better.

When i was a kid in the 90's I loved this at a restaurant near me.

We also had grapenut ice cream in New England which has disappeared in the last 5-10 years.

by Anonymousreply 203May 5, 2024 4:48 PM

I'm from New England, never heard of grape nut ice cream and I'm 65. Where did you have it?

by Anonymousreply 204May 5, 2024 4:50 PM

For R203^

by Anonymousreply 205May 5, 2024 5:24 PM

Teaberry ice cream! It's crazy that it's not more popular. Such a distinct flavor.

Here in PA, I see a lot of shoofly pie. Just the sight of it makes me gag. So unappetizing.

by Anonymousreply 206May 5, 2024 5:28 PM

R204- It used to be made by Giffords I believe? And I think Brighams may have made their version too.

I think Giffords had some issues a few years ago and stopped making it-

I have not been able to get it in years

I live in the NH seacoast

by Anonymousreply 207May 5, 2024 5:29 PM

R207 I just found:

"What company sold an ice cream with Grape-Nuts in it?"

Gifford's distributes its Grape-Nuts ice cream to hundreds of independent ice cream shops, reaching as far south as the Carolinas and west to Indiana.

Sep 24, 2018

Not aware that Brigham's ever had it, though of course I can't say for sure.

by Anonymousreply 208May 5, 2024 5:32 PM

Love Giffords, wonderful ice cream. But nearby Dunlaps is my fave.

by Anonymousreply 209May 5, 2024 5:40 PM

When I was a kid, I loved the Boston cream pie that my mother made from a Duncan Hines mix.

by Anonymousreply 210May 5, 2024 6:22 PM

I never liked Boston Cream pie. I wouldn't say it has "faded into history" though.

by Anonymousreply 211May 5, 2024 6:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 5, 2024 6:31 PM

R6 It looks like a delicious cake that somebody threw up on.

by Anonymousreply 213May 5, 2024 6:43 PM

R177- Apple Crisp

Butter For Baking Dish

7-8 medium apples sliced ( Granny Smith)

1 cup light brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice

Grated zest of 1 orange

3/4 all purpose flour

Salt

4 tablespoons butter

1- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2-Butter a 1 quart baking dish (metal or a 1 quart glass dish

3- Arrange slices of apples in dish then mix 1/2 cup brown sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle over apples. Add juices and zest.

4- For crumb topping - mix remaining sugar with flour and a dash of salt and rub or cut in butter. Sprinkle over apple slices.

5- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender and the top browned. Serve warm with cold whipped cream.

Can be made ahead of time and gently warmed in oven before serving.

by Anonymousreply 214May 5, 2024 8:03 PM

R177- There are good recipes for whipped cream on the internet. Find one that calls for Pure Vanilla extract and confectioners sugar and make sure all of the ingredients and equipment are very cold before making the whipped cream- I put everything in the freezer for 20 minutes or more.

by Anonymousreply 215May 5, 2024 8:12 PM

Crepes Suzette

Anybody remember the Magic Pan restaurant? They had some good savory crepes. I was never crazy about the sweet ones.

by Anonymousreply 216May 5, 2024 8:22 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217May 5, 2024 8:33 PM

R203 Is Euell Gibbon’s slightly younger brother

by Anonymousreply 218May 5, 2024 8:35 PM

Gibbons’

by Anonymousreply 219May 5, 2024 8:35 PM

Prune Whip. I so want to make this sometime. The original Stouffer’s recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I make bread pudding too. And those cakes that make their own sauce underneath as they bake.

by Anonymousreply 220May 5, 2024 8:43 PM

R190- Honestly, Boston Creme Pie is naturally BLAND- I feel the Omni House one (despite being pretty) will disappoint you just like the bland Flour Bakery one.

There are so many great treats on Goldbelly. I would recommend that Tom Cruise Doan's cake over this one- Or that Blums Cake from Valerie in LA.

(both great)

by Anonymousreply 221May 5, 2024 8:57 PM

I think a chocolate eclair would be a better form of a Boston cream pie. The pastry (of the eclair) adds some texture that the BCP lacks.

by Anonymousreply 222May 5, 2024 9:02 PM

Strawberry shortcake -- is it still popular?

What about lemon merangue pie?

by Anonymousreply 223May 5, 2024 9:05 PM

I used to make something called Nut Brownie Pie from a recipe in the Woman's Day Encyclopedia Of Cookery.

You roll out a pie crust and then fill it with the brownie mix and walnuts ( homemade). Bake it and serve with ice cream or whipped cream if you prefer. It was rich and tasty and the pie crust added a nice contrast to the brownie part.

by Anonymousreply 224May 5, 2024 9:20 PM

I'd like to make some blondies.

by Anonymousreply 225May 5, 2024 9:38 PM

I just bet you would, r225.

by Anonymousreply 226May 5, 2024 9:43 PM

A good Boston Cream Pie isn't BLAND. It's got a very tangy custard, and a very deep intense chocolate frosting/ganache.

by Anonymousreply 227May 6, 2024 2:29 AM

R227- Years ago I very much enjoyed a Boston Cream filled donut at Dunkin Donuts.

by Anonymousreply 228May 6, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote] It's got a very tangy custard

I've never had a tangy custard.

by Anonymousreply 229May 6, 2024 3:28 AM

I can do a good lemon meringue pie. It's not hard. Like any pie the crust is the hardest part.

by Anonymousreply 230May 6, 2024 3:49 AM

The NYT asks, “How Did Black Forest Cake Become the World’s Favorite Dessert?”

The answer involves post-colonial reverse-appropriation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231May 6, 2024 5:47 AM

R231 it’s already been referenced up thread—catch up

by Anonymousreply 232May 6, 2024 11:29 AM

Does anyone else remember Campbell's tomato soup spice cake? Campbell's used to push this in the old days.

Don't know if you'd call them a dessert or not, but Hermits, at least in the Boston area, used to be a hugely popular kind of soft, spicy cookie.

by Anonymousreply 233May 6, 2024 1:09 PM

[quote]Does anyone else remember Campbell's tomato soup spice cake?

Well of course I do!

by Anonymousreply 234May 6, 2024 1:15 PM

R183- I would come home from Day Camp ca. 1971 and my mother would have Pistachio pudding in the refrigerator for me in these small glass bowls. I LOVED it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235May 6, 2024 1:59 PM

R166- What about Sponge Cake. No one here on this thread has said anything about Sponge Cake. That was my grandmother's specialty. My mother would make it too, once in a while and cut it widthwise then make a strawberry filling and frost the sides and top with whipped cream and put whole strawberries as a decoration on top- her version ( her FABULOUS version) of Strawberry Shortcake

My mother's sponge cake was Orange sponge cake I should add.

by Anonymousreply 236May 6, 2024 2:04 PM

Sponge cake is a close relative of chiffon cake. Unless you're Jewish and have it for the holidays, I haven't seen or heard of sponge cake in decades.

by Anonymousreply 237May 6, 2024 2:38 PM

R237- Sponge cake is still popular in the UK

They have something called Victoria Sponge Cake there.

Costco UK sells it too.

by Anonymousreply 238May 6, 2024 2:51 PM

Floating Islands dessert. I had this once in Paris and thought it was the strangest dessert I've ever had.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 6, 2024 2:59 PM

R239 I remember K. Hepburn eating that in the movie Desk Set.

by Anonymousreply 240May 6, 2024 3:51 PM

Not a dessert I guess but my mom made the best date nut bread. Loved having it with cream cheese.

Also, wasn't carrot cake huge in the '70s-'80s?

by Anonymousreply 241May 6, 2024 3:52 PM

Peach cobbler is still very much on the menus here in East Texas. Mainly in bbq and diner type places. Sometimes apple but peach is always available. Blackberry not too much but maybe the cost is too prohibitive for large scale serving.

by Anonymousreply 242May 6, 2024 4:01 PM

I don't think cobbler has faded into history.

by Anonymousreply 243May 6, 2024 4:02 PM

R239 also called oeufs a la neige. Le Veaux D’or of blessed memory had it and Quality Bistro in NYC serves it. I order it whenever I have a chance.

I wish carrot cake would disappear.

by Anonymousreply 244May 6, 2024 4:05 PM

Angel food cake, the super-fluffy, white cake made in a Bundt-type pan.

by Anonymousreply 245May 6, 2024 4:14 PM

I still love carrot cake. I don't see it as a trend. I think it's a solid classic.

That floating island thing, I've seen in many books, but I've never heard about anyone actually making it or eating it.

by Anonymousreply 246May 6, 2024 4:15 PM

[quote]Teaberry ice cream! It's wild that it's not more popular—such a distinct flavor.

I never knew about the ice cream, but I chewed plenty of teaberry gum as a child in the 1970s and a teen in the 1980s. R178, Nesselrode pie was delicious. I saw Panna Cotta and Plum Clafoutis on menus at upscale restaurants in the 80's. They were "new desserts" that were not too sweet. The Melting Pot is a chain fondue restaurant that still does good business. Another regional dessert (New England) was Indian Pudding, which was made with cornmeal. It was delicious, but it was rarely served in restaurants. I think it was already on its way out in the 1970s. I remember thinking Viennetta Ice Cream cake was the height of sophistication in the 80's and 90's. You can find it (the private label version) easily at Lidl grocery stores. It disappeared for a while, but it is definitely back. At 58 yo, I remember most of the desserts in the posted YouTube video, except for Dacquoise, which looks absolutely delicious.

by Anonymousreply 247May 6, 2024 5:16 PM

I have made oeufs a la neige, r246. It takes a bit of time, but it's actually pretty simple to make. And simply delicious.

by Anonymousreply 248May 6, 2024 5:19 PM

r238 I think the Brits call any kind of regular cake (i.e., the type of cake you'd get from a cake mix) a sponge. As opposed to genoise (which they insist on pronouncing jen-oh-WEEZ), angel food, chiffon, etc.

by Anonymousreply 249May 6, 2024 5:30 PM

Carrot Cake was definitely a thing in the 70s and 80s, but it's never really gone away.

Cobbler is usually something you can find at bbq places and soul food restaurants. It's probably best at the times of year where the fruit might be fresh. I don't recall it ever being something you'd find at a less specialized restaurant unless it was the dessert "specilaity". Pie would be more common.

by Anonymousreply 250May 6, 2024 5:38 PM

The tangy custard in a Boston Creme Pie is killing me.

I am the one who said BCP is bland as fuck, and read that dissenting response last night (dissenting- is that a word?) And I rolled my eyes.. TANGY CUSTARD???? I was too lazy to respond.

Laughed my ass off when someone responded!!

BCP is BLAND. The better the chococlate the better it will be.. Maybe with a thicker layer of chocolate, maybe it would be better? Maybe even some Maldon Flake Salt on the chocolate??? Hmmmm....

by Anonymousreply 251May 6, 2024 6:34 PM

I love custard pies and white cake with coconut frosting. Cooks Country has an excellent recipe online.

by Anonymousreply 252May 6, 2024 6:57 PM

Salt on chocolate mostly doesn't work and the last place it would come close to working is on a Boston Cream Pie. A good one has good chocolate on top and a rich custard, as well as a buttery yellow cake.

by Anonymousreply 253May 6, 2024 8:46 PM

Oh, now its a RICH custard. What about tangy?

Stop trying to make BCP happen.

by Anonymousreply 254May 6, 2024 9:15 PM

R251 is just super wrong, or has never had REAL Boston Cream Pie. There is NO FUCKING WAY you can call that dessert bland unless you've only had some really lame ass version, or your taste-buds have been completely destroyed by smoking or something. Seriously, WTF?

by Anonymousreply 255May 6, 2024 10:11 PM

Bread pudding.

by Anonymousreply 256May 6, 2024 11:53 PM

I had Indian Pudding somewhere on the Cape. I assume it turns up in old school tourist restaurants. It was ok, but I don't know that I'd make a habit out of it.

by Anonymousreply 257May 6, 2024 11:55 PM

Bread pudding made a bit of a come back about 15-20 years ago. It's easy to make, but the real star is the sauce that goes with it. It still turns up on menus once in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 258May 6, 2024 11:57 PM

I grew up near Boston and never had Boston Cream Pie growing up. But recently I had a good one from a local bakery and was pleasantly surprised. It's nice change from regular cake, I don't love custard in eclairs but this bakery does a nice pastry cream, and the chocolate ganache topping just makes the whole thing come together.

by Anonymousreply 259May 7, 2024 12:45 AM

I miss whore hound candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260May 7, 2024 3:07 AM

[quote]Don't know if you'd call them a dessert or not, but Hermits, at least in the Boston area, used to be a hugely popular kind of soft, spicy cookie.

Still popular in New England, like Boston Cream Pie. A hermit is more like a soft"bar" than a standard cookie. They're made with molasses and usually contain raisins. My mother would make them occasionally but more often would pick some up at a downtown bakery.

by Anonymousreply 261May 7, 2024 3:29 AM

New England desserts seem dreary. Tangy cream pie, molasses cookies and corn pudding.

by Anonymousreply 262May 7, 2024 4:40 AM

It's the result of our sold, no-frills Yankee stock, R262. You sound like the kind of person who doesn't enjoy ice cream unless it has four different kinds of candy crumbled into it.

by Anonymousreply 263May 7, 2024 5:18 AM

Shoo-Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy!

by Anonymousreply 264May 7, 2024 5:25 AM

Pancakes Barbara

by Anonymousreply 265May 7, 2024 5:26 AM

I love the weird UK desserts:

Eton Mess

Trifle

Banoffee Pudding

and my favorite, Summer Pudding, made with slices of white bread (though you'd hardly know it to look at it).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266May 7, 2024 5:29 AM

I don't like those UK desserts that much, all those soft textures.

by Anonymousreply 267May 7, 2024 6:00 AM

Remember lava cakes? You cut into them and the middle was like melted chocolate? I haven't seen much of those lately.

by Anonymousreply 268May 7, 2024 7:41 AM

I love Eton Mess. The world needs more meringue.

What carrot cake was to the 70s, lava cake was to the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 269May 7, 2024 9:56 AM

R233 / i had not thought about hermit cookies for decades. thanks!

recipes vary...... the one below is similar to what i recall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270May 7, 2024 10:19 AM

Hermit cookies seem like a cousin to oatmeal raisin cookies which remain inexplicably popular everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 271May 7, 2024 11:47 AM

I don't like raisins or dates so any desserts with those are out for me.

by Anonymousreply 272May 7, 2024 11:52 AM

Only the best establishments serve Cherries Jubilee.

by Anonymousreply 273May 7, 2024 12:39 PM

Hermits are baked on a sheet pan and cut as bars, not dropped by the spoonful and baked as individual cookies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 7, 2024 12:42 PM

[quote]Hermit cookies seem like a cousin to oatmeal raisin cookies which remain inexplicably popular everywhere.

Possibly because they're delicious?

by Anonymousreply 275May 7, 2024 1:18 PM

Wrong, R274. I had Hermit Cookies all the time as a kid (Not a favorite, but they were everywhere) and they were normal cookies, like chocolate chip cookies only with dates/raisins/nuts.

by Anonymousreply 276May 7, 2024 2:09 PM

Do any of you bitches have a recipe for TANGY Custard PIE????? "Boston Style"

My mouth salivates at the THOUGHT!!!

by Anonymousreply 277May 7, 2024 2:51 PM

Napoleons

Still love them but they are impossible to find. I normally hate anything with a cream filling like Boston Cream Pie or chocolate eclairs (yuck to both!), but I love Napoleons.

by Anonymousreply 278May 7, 2024 4:05 PM

Napoleons are nice but kind of hard to eat, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 279May 7, 2024 4:06 PM

I am afraid to lose my jaw munching on peanut brittle

by Anonymousreply 280May 7, 2024 8:11 PM

My favorite episode of "The Lucy Show" was the one where Lucy and Viv enter a pie baking contest. Earlier in the episode, Lucy mentions a Sunshine Cake. I'd never heard of a Sunshine Cake, so I looked it up. It's too sweet for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 7, 2024 9:06 PM

R281 that sounds like a pig pickin' cake.

by Anonymousreply 282May 7, 2024 9:09 PM

R281- I do not like the way she frosted the cake. It was a sloppy job. In several instances she missed getting the frosting spread out to the edge of the cake. That BUGS me.

by Anonymousreply 283May 7, 2024 9:20 PM

Nothing’s as sweet as a warm gooey slice of fur pie!

by Anonymousreply 284May 7, 2024 11:16 PM

Try one of the little strip-ed ones, mawm!

by Anonymousreply 285May 8, 2024 12:02 AM

R276 Not in New England

I bought some at Market Basket today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286May 8, 2024 1:11 AM

R275: Oatmeal and raisin cookies never go as quickly as the chocolate chip.

by Anonymousreply 287May 8, 2024 2:08 AM

R12 did that happen to be Andre Talley?

by Anonymousreply 288May 8, 2024 2:25 AM

I only get jello salad at Christmas when we have our big family party. As a kid we had jello salad at every holiday meal.

by Anonymousreply 289May 8, 2024 2:48 AM

[quote]Oatmeal and raisin cookies never go as quickly as the chocolate chip.

Who the fuck cares? I happen to prefer oatmeal raisin to chocolate chip, but so what? Does that make me a bad person? Must everything be a competition?

by Anonymousreply 290May 8, 2024 6:15 AM

I miss the thoroughly abandoned and completely faded into history Jello 1-2-3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 8, 2024 6:37 AM

[quote]It's the result of our sold, no-frills Yankee stock, [R262]. You sound like the kind of person who doesn't enjoy ice cream unless it has four different kinds of candy crumbled into it.

Such as Ben and Jerry’s, which is made in New England?

by Anonymousreply 292May 8, 2024 1:56 PM

I mistook an oatmeal-raisin cookie for a chocolate chip once. I was not happy. I loathe raisins.

by Anonymousreply 293May 8, 2024 2:28 PM

[quote]I was not happy. I loathe raisins.

Not even figs! Raaaisins!!!

by Anonymousreply 294May 8, 2024 5:43 PM

There is nothing better than a fresh out of the oven Oatmeal Raisin Cookie with a tall glass of milk. Chocolate Chip is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 295May 8, 2024 5:47 PM

Apple pie filling with raisins - YUCK!

My Gran said it was cheating.

by Anonymousreply 296May 8, 2024 6:33 PM

This thread inspired me to make a pineapple-upside down cake. It cracked really badly after I turned it over and I am despondent.

by Anonymousreply 297May 8, 2024 6:39 PM

So? You can still eat it.

by Anonymousreply 298May 8, 2024 6:40 PM

I’m fixin to make that sunshine cake.

by Anonymousreply 299May 8, 2024 11:08 PM

[quote]R216 Anybody remember the Magic Pan restaurant? They had some good savory crepes. I was never crazy about the sweet ones.

I worked at a Magic Pan in college. The Chantilly dessert crepe was good - it was banana, apricot sauce, whipped cream and slivered almonds.

by Anonymousreply 300May 9, 2024 4:56 AM

Raisins ruin perfectly good oatmeal cookies, and I will die on this hill.

Same with anyone who puts walnuts in cookies. Ugh. WTF is wrong with you. Leave that shit out.

by Anonymousreply 301May 9, 2024 5:05 AM

^^ oh, P.S., staff called it The Magic Pain

by Anonymousreply 302May 9, 2024 5:06 AM

^^ supposed to be under r300

[bold]: (

by Anonymousreply 303May 9, 2024 5:07 AM

I like walnuts in chocolate chip cookies. Walnuts are under-rated, IMO.

I like raisins in oatmeal cookies.

by Anonymousreply 304May 9, 2024 5:08 AM

Walnuts are garbage. There isn't a single thing with walnuts in it that wouldn't have been far superior with pecans instead, or even just leaving the nuts out all together.

FUCK anyone who shits on perfectly good chocolate chip cookies by putting fucking WALNUT garbage in them.

by Anonymousreply 305May 9, 2024 5:13 AM

Without the walnuts, chocolate chip cookies taste flat, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 306May 9, 2024 5:22 AM

[quote]Same with anyone who puts walnuts in cookies. Ugh. WTF is wrong with you. Leave that shit out.

Are you 8 years old? You obviously have a child's tastes in food. "If I don't like something, no one else should like it either!! Wahhh!!"

by Anonymousreply 307May 9, 2024 5:31 AM

Mont Blanc

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308May 9, 2024 7:24 AM

[quote]Mont Blanc

Spaghetti with whipped cream. My favorite.

by Anonymousreply 309May 9, 2024 8:47 AM

Does anyone still make "Chocolate Angel Pie." It was popularized by Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate back in the 50s or 60s.

You make meringue crust , then fill it with a chocolate whipped cream concoction.

My boyfriend always asks me to make it for him on his birthday. And lucky me, my mom made the best, so I learned from her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310May 9, 2024 9:06 AM

These kinds of blueberry (or cherry) cream cheese cakes (no-bake) in 9x13 pans were popular. But you don't see them much, anymore. I still like them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311May 9, 2024 9:09 AM

Definitely an 80s thing ^ but tasty.

Carrot cake with raisins and almonds - double blech

by Anonymousreply 312May 9, 2024 10:15 AM

Spotted dick

by Anonymousreply 313May 9, 2024 11:51 AM

r308 I lived in Italy for six months back in 1980 and I ordered that for dessert pretty much every time I went out for dinner (it's called Monte Bianco in Italy, but it's the same thing.)

by Anonymousreply 314May 9, 2024 4:21 PM

Do people still talk about the Great Victorian Desert in Australia?

by Anonymousreply 315May 9, 2024 6:35 PM

I like walnuts and love pecans. I don’t think nuts belong in Toll House cookies but for non-premium chocolate chip cookies, sure. I also love raisins and/or walnuts or pecans in oatmeal cookies. I didn’t when I was a child but I do now. It’s weird how my taste changed that way. But if you hate them, that is your right!

by Anonymousreply 316May 9, 2024 10:02 PM

Sorry, EL: Carrot cake with walnuts and raisins and coconut and cream cheese icing is ambrosia for me.

by Anonymousreply 317May 9, 2024 10:32 PM

Seriously, when making ANY recipe that calls for walnuts, substitute pecans... it's always SIGNIFICANTLY better.

by Anonymousreply 318May 10, 2024 5:44 AM

[quote]Sorry, EL: Carrot cake with walnuts and raisins and coconut and cream cheese icing is ambrosia for me.

Costco used to have a great carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and apricot filling.

by Anonymousreply 319May 10, 2024 5:49 AM

For all the raisin haters, substitute dried cranberries.

by Anonymousreply 320May 10, 2024 5:55 AM

I remember eclair cake lurking around in the 80s, but I haven't seen any kind of reference to it since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321May 10, 2024 7:55 AM

Oooh, that looks good, R321.

by Anonymousreply 322May 10, 2024 1:43 PM

Oh great. Two layers of that utterly bland and flavorless custard.

Sorry- I mean "TANGY CUSTARD!"

by Anonymousreply 323May 10, 2024 3:41 PM

Pecans are very nice and very luxurious in that they're oily and expensive.

However, walnuts have a slightly bitter (in a good way) component that pecans don't have. For that reason, I don't think they're superfluous as "inferior" to pecans.

by Anonymousreply 324May 10, 2024 6:39 PM

Speaking of "tangy custard," I had lunch at a Chinese buffet yesterday, and one of the desserts was their take on the classic southern Banana Pudding (with Nilla wafers, etc.) The pudding/custard part was oddly tangy -- almost sour. I couldn't figure out what they'd done to make it taste that way--maybe they added something acidic to the pudding in an attempt to keep the banana slices from turning brown?

It wasn't awful, but it was definitely nothing like the basic recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325May 10, 2024 6:58 PM

Tangy custards:

1. Key lime pie

2. Lemon meringue pie

Not Boston cream pie

by Anonymousreply 326May 10, 2024 8:06 PM

Buttermilk has a tangy taste.

by Anonymousreply 327May 11, 2024 12:55 AM

R319- Apricot filling?

That sounds yummy 😋

by Anonymousreply 328May 11, 2024 4:12 AM

R321- That looks yummy 😋

by Anonymousreply 329May 11, 2024 4:13 AM

Banana splits

by Anonymousreply 330May 11, 2024 4:32 AM

Hummingbird cake

by Anonymousreply 331May 11, 2024 4:32 AM

R276 I'm not R274 but he's not wrong. Hermits are rectangular. They're sliced. I've never heard of the round "hermit cookies" of which you speak.

by Anonymousreply 332May 11, 2024 4:35 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 11, 2024 4:37 AM

Newman's Own Hermits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334May 11, 2024 4:41 AM

Newman's Own Fig Newmans don't taste as good as they used to.

by Anonymousreply 335May 11, 2024 4:46 AM

Spotted Dick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336May 11, 2024 5:06 AM

R324, I assure you that walnuts are not 'bitter' in any sort of 'good' way. They taste like bitter soap and ruin everything they're in. EVERY other nut is superior... almonds and pecans especially.

by Anonymousreply 337May 11, 2024 4:05 PM

R332, I've had hermits most of my life, and never heard of bars or whatever... they've ALWAYS been drop cookies.

by Anonymousreply 338May 11, 2024 4:06 PM

[quote]I've had hermits most of my life

But enough about your dating history ...

by Anonymousreply 339May 11, 2024 4:13 PM

I prefer Herman's Hermits

by Anonymousreply 340May 11, 2024 5:33 PM

[quote]I've had hermits most of my life, and never heard of bars or whatever... they've ALWAYS been drop cookies

I grew up with them, and I've only ever seen them as bars, never as drop cookies.

by Anonymousreply 341May 11, 2024 7:41 PM

the number of fat whores on this thread is mind blowing

by Anonymousreply 342May 12, 2024 5:11 PM

The number of people familiar with hermits (even if one here was sadly misled, perhaps as a cookie-eating child fed an ersatz version and thinking it was the real thing) would suggest that hermits are not a dessert that has faded into history.

by Anonymousreply 343May 12, 2024 5:45 PM

Boiled raisin cake. My mother made them by the dozen for charity bake sales. The only way I like raisins. Easy and cheap. Must be a depression recipe.

by Anonymousreply 344May 12, 2024 7:56 PM

Date nut bread with Cream Cheese served at Chock Full O Nuts

by Anonymousreply 345May 13, 2024 4:14 AM

Thank you R336, spotted dick is actually very good. The issue is the fact it has a silly name.

by Anonymousreply 346May 13, 2024 5:29 AM

Somebody got hurt very badly by a walnut.

by Anonymousreply 347May 13, 2024 1:29 PM

No, they just taste terrible compared to nearly every other nut in existence.

by Anonymousreply 348May 13, 2024 3:13 PM

I don't like walnuts a lot, but my mom loved them, the were her favorite.

by Anonymousreply 349May 13, 2024 3:16 PM

Blah

by Anonymousreply 350May 13, 2024 3:52 PM

R348- Sprouted Walnuts taste significantly better than Walnuts - try those.

by Anonymousreply 351May 13, 2024 8:35 PM

The bitterness of walnuts makes them well-suited to those with sophisticated palates.

by Anonymousreply 352May 13, 2024 8:42 PM

[quote]No, they just taste terrible compared to nearly every other nut in existence.e

One of the most popular ice cream flavors in New England is Maple Walnut. And it's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 353May 13, 2024 9:33 PM

Baby-tasters have a hard time with bitter flavors.

by Anonymousreply 354May 13, 2024 10:20 PM

Andrew Zimmern despises walnuts, and says he won't eat them.

But then that's just Andrew Zimmern. Consider the source.

There's a few places walnuts are appropriate, like Black Walnut Ice Cream, Walnut Fudge, and Waldorf Salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355May 13, 2024 10:42 PM

R355- He'll eat DEEP FRIED SQUID FECES but walnuts are repulsive to him.

by Anonymousreply 356May 13, 2024 10:46 PM

No, Zimmern is pretty squeamish. Bourdain is the one who would eat pretty much anything. Guy Fieri has a couple of foods he dislikes.

IMO, it's childish for so-called food experts to have a list of disliked foods that they can't judge objectively.

Jeffrey Steingarten (food writer for Vogue) wrote a book "The Man Who Ate Everything." He put his personal dislikes aside and judged food objectively (as was possible, I guess).

by Anonymousreply 357May 13, 2024 10:52 PM

I don’t dislike walnuts as long as they aren’t in carrot cake, but there is a taste that is part of their profile that I don’t particularly care for and I wouldn’t call it bitter. I love bitter foods.

by Anonymousreply 358May 14, 2024 12:19 AM

Walnuts have an oily mouth feel.

by Anonymousreply 359May 14, 2024 2:32 AM

Too many FUSSPOTS on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 360May 14, 2024 2:36 AM

This Better than Sex Cake is a chocolate cake made with a can of diet soda and cake mix. The frosting is made of only 3 simple ingredients which are vanilla pudding, milk, and, a container of cool whip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361May 14, 2024 2:39 AM

Looks and sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 362May 14, 2024 3:47 AM

That sounds really quite stomach-churning, R361.

by Anonymousreply 363May 14, 2024 3:56 AM

The only thing worse than walnuts is black walnuts. They taste like SOAP.

by Anonymousreply 364May 14, 2024 1:54 PM

R362- Isn't this even more disgusting -Jello Mold with Lima Beans and Sliced Olives 🤢

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365May 14, 2024 1:55 PM

[quote]R358/ElderLez: I don’t dislike walnuts as long as they aren’t in carrot cake, but there is a taste that is part of their profile that I don’t particularly care for and I wouldn’t call it bitter. I love bitter foods.

It's especially important that they be fresh. When they age even a little, their oils go rancid, and using walnuts that have gone over in this way will ruin an entire dish.

In my kitchen there's ⅓ of a bag of bad walnuts, and I just haven't gotten around to throwing them out.

by Anonymousreply 366May 14, 2024 7:58 PM

R366- Give them to the squirrels- they will gladly eat slightly stale nuts.

by Anonymousreply 367May 14, 2024 8:09 PM

Once you open a bag of nuts, it's best to keep them in the refrigerator. Says so on the package. Helps preserve freshness.

by Anonymousreply 368May 14, 2024 8:14 PM

Always keep your nut sack cool.

by Anonymousreply 369May 14, 2024 8:18 PM

[quote]R367: Give them to the squirrels- they will gladly eat slightly stale nuts.

Actually, they won't. I've tried before.

by Anonymousreply 370May 14, 2024 8:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!