Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kentucky Derby is today

NBC will be carrying it on network and live streamed on Peacock at 6:45 ET/5:45 CT

The horses Post and Odds listed below via CBS Sports:

Post 1: Dornoch Odds: 20-1 (+2000) Post 2: Sierra Leone Odds: 3-1 (+300) Post 3: Mystik Dan Odds: 20-1 (+2000) Post 4: Catching Freedom Odds: 8-1 (+800) Post 5: Catalytic Odds: 30-1 (+3000) Post 6: Just Steel Odds: 20-1 (+2000) Post 7: Honor Marie Odds: 20-1 (+2000) Post 8: Just a Touch Odds: 10-1 (+1000) Post 9: Encino SCRATCHED Post 10: T O Password Odds: 30-1 (+3000) Post 11: Forever Young Odds: 10-1 (+1000) Post 12: Track Phantom Odds: 20-1 (+2000) Post 13: West Saratoga Odds: 50-1 (+5000) Post 14: Endlessly Odds: 30-1 (+3000) Post 15: Domestic Product Odds: 30-1 (+3000) Post 16: Grand Mo the First Odds: 50-1 (+5000) Post 17: Fierceness Odds: 5-2 (+250) Post 18: Stronghold Odds: 20-1 (+2000) Post 19: Resilience Odds: 20-1 (+2000) Post 20: Society Man Odds: 50-1 (+5000) Post 21: Epic Ride Odds: 30-1 (+3000)

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2024 2:04 PM

It’s not the same since Neumie died. Bob Neumeier was NBC’s Triple Crown analyst for years.

And try as he may, Kornacki ain’t Johnny and Tara.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 1:29 PM

Yay! I'm betting on which horse will die. My friend bets on how many will die but that's so depressing!

"As Churchill Downs prepares to host the 150th Kentucky Derby on Saturday a darker anniversary looms. One year ago, 12 horses died at Churchill Downs in the days and weeks surrounding America’s biggest race.

As hype builds around this year’s runners, those who died fall deeper into the well of memory, if they’re thought of at all. Wild on Ice, a gelding born in 2020 and a Derby qualifier, was euthanized after sustaining a hind leg fracture during training leading up to last year’s race. His connections expressed regret over their missed opportunity to watch him reach his full potential. A month later, Kimberley Dream, a seven-year-old “war horse” was making her 61st start when she broke down in a claiming race. In the chart the final note on her short life read “went wrong in upper stretch”.

In the time between those deaths there was routine equine suffering at Churchill with the deaths of Code of Kings, Parents Pride, Take Charge Briana, Chasing Artie, Chloe’s Dream, Freezing Point, Rio Moon, Lost in Limbo, Bosque Redondo, and Swanson Lake. Twelve dead at one track in one month. Those horses were no different than the ones on the backside and the racing cards this time around. For racing fans and runners’ connections Derby Day is exciting, prestigious, and maybe even profitable but for the horses it’s about survival. When a day in the sport concludes without death there is a collective sigh of relief. What a grim reality.

Cardiovascular collapse, catastrophic leg injury, and exercise-induced sudden death are constant threats. All who died on their race day last year were reportedly deemed sound by track vets.".

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 2:07 PM

It's Kentucky, Jake at R2. Shit happens. I suggest you read "How Kentucky Became Southern." During the Civil War Kentucky was actually midwestern. It's southerness was a later invention, accompanied by thirty years of extreme violence and one hundred thirty years of the worst corruption ever seen in America.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 2:19 PM

Anna Nicole Smith's daughter Dannielynn Birkhead steps out in Janet Jackson dress ahead of Kentucky Derby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 2:26 PM

Not just the Derby. All horse racing is deadly for horses.

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 2:26 PM

R4, that old kween needs to retire that ratty wig. Though it’s always nice to see Danielynn looking happy.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 2:29 PM

She looks very different, like she's had work done on/around her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 2:38 PM

I hate seeing the 'good ol' boys club' of owners walking around like what they do is important. And that sleaze that was banned for a season or two but is now back and more obnoxious than ever.

My favorite derby of the last few years is when that horse came in the day before - or maybe the day of - the race and WON.

Always hoping for something similar. But as written above - racing is deadly for the horses.

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 3:53 PM

$22 for a mint julep, but you get to keep the glass!

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 4:04 PM

r8, The press conference with the winning trainer/jockey/owners might give you a smile. Humbly-bred horse with humble connections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2024 12:11 PM

Can't believe I'm watching this whole press conference but there's a really lovely moment right around the half-hour mark. Starting around 29m Brian Hernandez (the jockey) is talking about his partnership with the trainer -- he's apparently Kenny McPeek's primary rider -- and the pleasure he takes from feeling like a part of the process of helping the horses develop and, as he finishes his answer, one of the owners calls out from the audience "You are loved" and Hernandez is visibly moved. (Look, I know. I'm a cynical mofo, but it got me a little teary, too.) A little reminder that the industry isn't ALL about the money.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2024 12:53 PM

Was happy to see the winner!

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2024 2:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!