Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gen Z-ers spend the longest time in the shower, new poll reveals.

You might think that some of your shower habits are random. But new data from The Harris Poll reveals that some shower preferences and routines might be indicative of your age.

The older you are, the shorter your shower time likely is, according to findings from the 2,073 Americans surveyed from Feb. 27-29. Gen Z (defined as ages 18 to 27) spends the longest amount of time in the shower, at an average of 21.2 minutes, nearly twice as long as the 12.3 minutes spent on average by baby boomers (60 to 78). For 17% of boomers, their showers are five minutes or less.

Other generational differences exist when it comes to how often a person showers — with Gen X (44 to 59) being the mostly likely to take a daily shower at 69% — and what time of day someone is most likely to wash up, with the youngest pollers being the least likely to have showered by 9 a.m.

“Nearly all Americans shower, but the survey reveals differences about how that is done across segments of the population," Joanna Allenza, director of Harris On-Demand at the Harris Poll tells Yahoo Life of the data. “We were surprised to discover differences in the behaviors and preferences between men and women — like men being more likely to shower in the morning, while women are more likely to shower in the evening — as well as across the generations, such as preferred shower duration decreasing with age, just to name a few.”

But is one generation getting it right versus the others? Is there a proper time of day or duration for showers to maintain good hygiene and skin health? Here’s what experts say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 7, 2024 7:54 AM

Well, crying is time consuming.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2024 3:43 PM

Wow that’s really shocking considering how many of them smell

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2024 3:48 PM

There's something pathological about wasting so much time under shower. What metaphorical stain are they trying to remove from themselves?

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2024 4:03 PM

I guess the shower is their 'safe space' where they can cry and deal with their emotions. I also guess none of them have seen 'Psycho'.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2024 4:09 PM

Aren't Gen Zers into water conservation? Why are they taking such long showers and wasting so much water ?

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2024 4:12 PM

They don’t have much else to do.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2024 4:17 PM

Of course young people take longer in the shower. They're not alone in there.

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2024 4:31 PM

R7 They are with their imaginary friends to comfort them ?

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2024 4:42 PM

Gen z are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2024 4:45 PM

21+ minutes is a hell of a long shower.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2024 4:50 PM

Jerk’n dat thang

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2024 4:56 PM

The boys are likely touching themselves and the girls are busy performing "self-care."

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2024 4:57 PM

Once you pay your own utilities you tend to be less wasteful. Water's cheap in the US but heating it isn't.

Some people are so phone-addicted they interrupt showers to text. That probably happens now across age groups, but those I know who admit to it are Gen Z or the youngest Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2024 5:02 PM

It’s a protest against…something or another. No river, no sea untouched or blah, blah.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2024 5:02 PM

I am a Boomer. I love long showers.

I also know how to open a PDF.

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2024 5:05 PM

They’re, like, literally wasting so much water. Like, literally.

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2024 5:37 PM

Are you shur? Cuz, like, I'm not shur?

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2024 5:43 PM

5 minutes. TOPS! Everything gets scrubbed. Twice a day. Feets, and all holes including the navel and the back of the neck/ ears.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2024 5:54 PM

R18 you're obviously not Gen Z. Jaedyn never scrubs his feet or hole!

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2024 5:57 PM

R8 - Oh dear. You sound old, bitter and lonely.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2024 6:03 PM

Raw pole in rank hole.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2024 6:12 PM

They are probably taking selfies in the shower.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2024 7:07 PM

It's not like they have anywhere to be.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2024 7:09 PM

And Gen Z's pussy still stinks!

by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2024 7:23 PM

R19 he never washes his balls either!

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2024 7:28 PM

Back in September, one of the male college students I work with (he's a senior, so he's graduating) showed me a memo which 'facilities' sent out to all the male students in the dorms. It seriously asked them to refrain from 'relieving themselves' in the shower as it's clogging the drains (and then they are called to the dorm rooms to unclog the drains). It asked them to relieve themselves outside the shower.

He admitted that he and his suite-mates always jerk off in the shower. They weren't planning on stopping because of this memo. I was a bit surprised.

by Anonymousreply 26May 5, 2024 7:22 PM

^^^^ This explains their long time in the showers.

by Anonymousreply 27May 5, 2024 7:23 PM

I see statistics like these and I want to scream that this is the top of a neurodivergent iceberg.

Their parents had them too old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2024 7:39 PM

I shower almost every day. On Mondays when I scrub myself thoroughly with a washcloth, it takes up to 10 minutes. The rest of the week a shower takes 5 minutes or less.

by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2024 7:43 PM

I've never timed my showers. I just take a shower until I think I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2024 7:48 PM

[quote] It seriously asked them to refrain from 'relieving themselves' in the shower as it's clogging the drains

Is it semen or pancake batter?

How the hell does spooge clog a drain?

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2024 7:58 PM

It doesn’t…it was an attempt at being subtle: don’t leave your cum everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2024 8:00 PM

I thought it meant they were shitting in the showers.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2024 9:03 PM

Douche bros in the form shit in the sink when they’re wasted, not in the shower …

by Anonymousreply 34May 5, 2024 9:47 PM

*dorm

by Anonymousreply 35May 5, 2024 9:47 PM

Well they said students relieving themselves in the showers is actually clogging the drains.

by Anonymousreply 36May 5, 2024 9:56 PM

Jerking off wouldn't be clogging drains.

by Anonymousreply 37May 5, 2024 9:57 PM

At that age masturbating is part of taking a shower. For males.

by Anonymousreply 38May 5, 2024 10:01 PM

Maybe for you - that's gross. I never masturbated in a shower.

by Anonymousreply 39May 5, 2024 10:02 PM

It may be because modern shower heads have such low pressure that it takes longer to feel clean. The boomers may live in older houses with unrestricted water pressure. I'm still using a 60s era shower head and it is absolute heaven. It's like a fire hose.

by Anonymousreply 40May 5, 2024 10:02 PM

Maybe they should take baths.

by Anonymousreply 41May 5, 2024 10:06 PM

How hard is it to understand metaphor? Y’all so literal…and, apparently, never made it to a college dorm.

by Anonymousreply 42May 5, 2024 10:07 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal that smelly millenial can learn from them.

by Anonymousreply 43May 5, 2024 10:09 PM

I lived in college dorms for two years of college. Never masturbated in the shower or saw anyone else masturbating. But that was the '70s. Maybe public masturbation became popular in a later era.

by Anonymousreply 44May 5, 2024 10:11 PM

5 minutes tops for me. Soap up a washcloth, start with arms, pits, and work my way down, until I do the soles of my feet. Then, wet hair thoroughly while rinsing soap off of the rest of my body, shampoo my hair (which is very short and fine), soap up the washcloth to wash face, neck and ears, then a thorough rinse and all done. I can't imagine what people are doing (other than jerking off) in a 20 minute shower. People like me had dads who would bang on the door saying that it was time to wrap it up, or, if that didn't succeed, would flush a toilet somewhere else in the house to screw with the temperature and water pressure.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2024 10:11 PM

And I think it's disgusting people would jerk off in a shower someone else had to use. But that's just because I'm sane.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2024 10:12 PM

R44, didn't you guys just streak instead?

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2024 10:13 PM

I piss in the shower, every time, in every place—dorm, gym, hotel, home, VRBO, bathhouse, commune, etc.

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2024 10:19 PM

Gen X here. My showers are usually about 15 to 20 mins. I do the same as r45 except I wash the top part of my body, then rinse the wash cloth, re-soap and do my legs and feet. Rinse the shampoo out of my hair, put the conditioner on, then re-soap the cloth and wash my genitals. It's disgusting to me that anyone can't recognize that your feet are usually the dirtiest part of you body and you do NOT want to spread that shit on other parts of you, including your genitals. While the conditioner is still on, I then get a back brush, soap it up and scrub my back. Rinse it, then rinse the hair and done. Sometimes I like a few more seconds of just being under the hot water to decompress. I've never understood people who take 5 mins or people who don't shower every day. Do you not work out and get sweaty every day?

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2024 10:20 PM

R23 There’s literally no train to catch

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2024 10:23 PM

What's with you OCD people and your detailed shower routine descriptions? It's not rocket science. You get under the water with some soap and clean yourself.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2024 11:07 PM

R49 Gee, no, not everyone works out every day.

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2024 11:08 PM

R51 Thank you for saying what I was just thinking.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2024 11:08 PM

The only time I jerk off in the shower is when someone else is with me - and we jerk each other off. It kind of just comes naturally.

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2024 11:09 PM

R52, no shit. You just have to read any of the Ozempic threads to understand that.

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2024 11:47 PM

R55 I don't even need to read threads on DL to understand that.

by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2024 12:27 AM

R26, in which city was this shower edict issued to the college boys?

by Anonymousreply 57May 7, 2024 7:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!