Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does every LGBTQ Gen Zer come out?

Given that such a high percentage (30%) of Gen Z identify as LGBTQ, are any of them still staying in the closet?

I get it that DL elder gays faced society’s pressures to stay in the closet. But today, what would prompt a 21-year-old to stay in the closet --conservative family, career, religion, what..?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2024 10:27 PM

News alert: 29 percent of this 30 percent will be married to the opposite sex and have children and live in the suburbs within 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2024 8:20 PM

That bitch in the photo looks exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2024 8:23 PM

R1 So? Just because someone marries the opposite sex doesn't mean they can't also be part of our little rainbow of sexual abominations.

Genuine biseckshuls and pansexuals do exist. They weren't just invented in the 90s to sell hair-care products.

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2024 8:27 PM

Because they were told they were *special* and heteronormative ain't gonna cut it on social media or in the vast sea of their peers.

In fact just plain gay or lesbian ain't gonna cut it either, truth be told. So you have to be pan, queer, asexual, trans, non binary, the alphabet soup in order to get attention these days.

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2024 8:28 PM

I’m 27 and I’m not perfectly “out.” I am in a Catholic family who won’t change their beliefs for anything, even if it’s staring them in the face.

Amongst my friends I’m completely out of course, but I do not talk about it in my business. I’m a private person and I’d rather not disclose my sexuality if I don’t have to.

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2024 8:32 PM

Most of them are born female.

[quote]Women are more likely than men to have an LGBTQ+ identification in the three youngest generations, especially in Generation Z and the millennial generation. Close to three in 10 Gen Z women, 28.5%, identify as LGBTQ+, compared with 10.6% of Gen Z men. Among millennials, 12.4% of women and 5.4% of men have an LGBTQ+ identification.

[quote]More than one in five Gen Z women identify as bisexual, as do 9% of millennial women. Gen Z men are more likely to identify as bisexual than as gay, while roughly equal proportions of millennial men identify as bisexual or gay. Older generations of LGBTQ+ men are most likely to identify as gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2024 8:33 PM

A gen Z girl that I know is now a they/them and "Queer." She stopped talking to some in her family who were just confused when she changed her name (not legally of course, because that would be too much effort).

She's currently dating a male who identifies as a they/them. So yes, r1 is correct. There is nothing about any of that that deserves to be considered part of our rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2024 8:35 PM

r5, so why not just tell your family? Do you still live at home with mummy and daddy?

People who are afraid to come out are afraid of losing that which already doesn't exist. In other words, you're afraid of losing your "family" except you don't really have one if they would judge you for who you love.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2024 8:37 PM

R5 I get that, but would you ever live with and/or marry a same sex partner?

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2024 8:41 PM

I identify as a red cabbage. May I be part of your rainbow?

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2024 8:45 PM

R5, look up Jesuits, they might be the most progressive Catholics, often disagree with supposed "dogma".

You also have a good Pope now. I hope he has a long life. He has the sensibilities of a 21st Century John XXIII.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2024 8:48 PM

The young ones that are still afraid to come out are probably the actual gays and lesbians. The rest can “come out” because they know they’ll never have to bring home a member of the same sex and deal with the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2024 8:49 PM

No, OP!

A huge chunk of these "LGBTQ" and "queers" aren't even gay! Their follow-the-leader instincts and fauxgressive natures make them jump on the LGBTQ bandwagon!

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2024 8:51 PM

I've got several nieces and nephews in their teens. They're all the sex they were born as and are straight, as are their friends.

It's honestly not as widespread as the right wingers try to make out. They do that because then it justifies all their homophobic shit.

by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2024 11:32 PM

We are talking about polls that show how they self identify. This isn't about right wingers saying anything.

My take is that LGBTQ and "queer" and all that does not equal gay or lesbian, so the numbers don't mean much. It's trendy, cool, and "progressive" to label yourself as queer/non-binary, whatever if you simply have broad tastes in dress or whatever. The labels are a fun thing, plus you get to say fuck you to mom and dad, the boomers, etc. And a lot of people enjoy being a victim at no real no social or physical cost. They really do. This is VERY different from the gay/lesbian experience where many would have given anything to be accepted for deep urges that legitimately control our thoughts and lives.

Let me put it another way. If fascists were to take over and ban LGBTQ+, all the non-binary types, the two spirits, the ___-gender (insert one of 50+ terms made up in the past decade), the queers, the purple hairs, etc. those people would basically adapt to the new reality and get over it. Sure, some would resist at first for liberty reasons, but the vast majority would adapt. However, gays and lesbians, due to our fundamental essence, would still be having sex in secret and so forth. We'd still be thinking about dick. Because we are wired to be sexual beings just like straight, but for the same sex. Sexual orientation is as real as the sex we are (not gender). And it can't be changed with the times, even at great risk.

That's what I think when I see these extreme numbers. And when I see in these numbers that there's still not a lot of gays around compared to all these other colors. Because being gay involves something more real, less trendy, less cultural. Something natural. An actual thing. And it's why I don't identify with the gender folks. Because it's not the same battle, even if certain aspects can cross over at times. It's just not the same.

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2024 11:57 PM

I'd add to my comment at r15 that bisexual is kinda meaningless unless one is actually really into both sexes. And I think a lot of folks are calling themselves bi when really they're just kind of sexually open and curious. But they could adapt easily too if the worst were to happen.

Not gays/lesbians. Sure, we'd go back to leading lives in the closet, but with what that meant traditionally, which was great suffering when having to pretend to be into and fuck the opposite sex most of the time and exploring our actual selves in secret (which we always did, even at great risk).

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2024 12:07 AM

In related polling news

20% of zoomers admit to answering polling questions falsely for shits & giggles

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2024 12:11 AM

The amount of trans/non binary identified people I personally knew 7 years ago was 2. Today I know well over 10.

The only explanation for that amount of an increase is that it's a fad. And like all fads, it will fade away except these people are doing major damage to their bodies and minds with this shit and most of it cannot be reversed. "Coming out" used to mean something. Now it just means, "I watched a Tik Tok video and decided being heterosexual was boring."

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2024 12:40 AM

To quote SATC, If you don't eat pussy, you're not a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2024 1:00 AM

They'll repent when Project 2025 goes through. They'll say it was all just a dream... just a crazy dream.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2024 2:22 AM

What or who do you think about when you fuck? Is it always about your sexual partner? Is it often about screwing someone else?

As a man with a very handsome sexual partner almost my age I believe we love each other most when we close our eyes and pretend it might be someone else. This is why we are there for each other.

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2024 4:11 AM

Yes, I always think about my sexual partner.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2024 4:41 AM

R19 so if hetero men don't go down, they're not straight?

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2024 7:11 PM

r23, they're straight but selfish asshats who will be single soon. Newsflash: Every straight woman I know HATES giving BJs...but they still do it.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2024 8:00 PM

There should be a test before they can wear the badge. Make them eat genitals of the sex they claim to be attracted to. That’ll learn’em.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2024 8:11 PM

Most of them are saying they’re Queer for progressive clout.

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2024 9:03 PM

A friend’s family —All 7 grandchildren of one couple are “queer.” Two of my friend’s children have changed their gender, one of them more than once.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2024 9:06 PM

^correction—7 of 8 grandchildren. The oldest is a heterosexual male, for now.

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2024 9:07 PM

In this thread: gatekeeping by bitter old people.

Having fucked a few DL Gen Z lads who appear totally straight to their friends and family: yes, some of them do get really into it. Stop worrying about who the 'real' gays are and go out and enjoy the curious/willing younger folk ;)

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2024 9:13 PM

r29, I enjoy Gen Z boys as well, but I don't enjoy the gender confused/whiners. And there's a lot of those now, at least in the US. Not everything is bitterness by olds. Sometimes it's just disagreement.

And don't get me started on "gatekeeping". "Gatekeeping" is often a good thing. But that's a different convo...

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2024 9:52 PM

Most of these are females who identify as bisexual

Women are much more likely to identify as bi than men

It's still hard for men and boys to come out. They don't want people to think they're "not a real man"

by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2024 9:57 PM

R30 Well look at it this way, if Trump gets in again and tries to overturn the gay marriage laws, those purple-haired college girls that so irk you will probably go on a few of the demos with you, so they aren't totally useless. Just don't invite them to the orgy afterwards ;)

R31 Yeah, increasingly I think dividing people into rigid gay/straight/bi categories was a backwards step for humanity (damn Germans). You will get people with little interest in the act who want to claim the label, and people who absolutely refuse the label but are well up for the act. Maybe if we go back to the time when sexuality was a thing that you did, not a category you inhabited, it would be an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2024 10:07 PM

Bisexuals should not be confused with straight people who are not fluid, flexible or willing to fuck same sex people.

R29 Just because you think they look straight does mean they are and they reserve the right to keep their sex life private. A straight man is not interested in other men.

Gen Z is not any gayer than previous generations but they certainly are thirsty for attention and validation.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2024 10:09 PM

R33 you misunderstand me, I didn't say they were straight, I said they *appeared* straight to everyone else. And yeah, they'll probably be married to women in 10 years. They probably won't date other men and might just use them for occasional relief. That doesn't mean they don't really get into the homosex when it happens. Getting upset because they aren't 'gay enough' is a pointless waste of energy and just means that you definitely won't be getting any from them.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2024 10:15 PM

r20 r21 r28 r29 r30 r32 r34

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2024 10:27 PM

What is that comment, r35? A bunch of r numbers, but no content?

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2024 10:28 PM

r36

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2024 10:30 PM

[Quote] In this thread: gatekeeping by bitter old people.

“Gatekeeping,” said the people who instantly refer to Irish-Americans as “plastic paddies.”

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2024 10:31 PM

R36 It means this person's autistic personality limitations have led to him blocking scores of users and no longer being able to follow the threads, so he posts their numbers in a comment so as to be able to still read them while pretending to himself that he's still keeping the author blocked. You'll see this post, R39, in a future post.

Hi Mr Block ;)

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2024 10:36 PM

R38 No, quite the contrary buddy, I hate the term 'plastic paddy'. I started life in the diaspora myself and I dislike Irish people who look down on it.

Irish-Americans who have a genuine interest in their heritage and are willing to learn about Irish culture are fine by me. It's the ones who don't give a shit and just want to dress up as angry leprechauns on Paddy's Day that are cringe.

by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2024 10:38 PM

R35 is an overzealous blocker trying to have it both ways.

But back on topic, hasn’t every college girl of the past forty years confessed to her friends that she’d “totally go gay for Audrey Hepburn/Catherine Deneuve/Sigourney Weaver”? That’s what they mean by “bi” these days.

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2024 10:41 PM

Thanks for the explanation, r39. Wow, that's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2024 10:42 PM

R41 But at least on the male side of the aisle, growing social acceptance has allowed a chunk of mostly straight men to make the leap from thinking about it but never doing it, to thinking about it and perhaps finding a way to actually try it. But of course men are much more open to casual sex and these kinds of experimentation-encounters are only going to be casual.

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2024 10:46 PM

I believe the young guys claiming their non-straight identity. I don't know that I would believe most of the females.

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2024 10:49 PM

R44 With respect though how much do you know about female dating scenes? How would you be able to accurately assess how genuinely queer these girls are?

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2024 10:50 PM

R45, well, I'll tell you my reasoning. I went to high school with a number of girls who claimed to be 'bisexual/no labels." And actually an equal number of guys. Fast-forward 20 years -- every one of those girls is married to men, and every one of those guys is now openly gay. Not exactly a science, but my experience at least!

by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2024 10:55 PM

R46 OK, but marrying a man doesn't disprove that they are bi. Most people are monogamous, so if they settle down with one man they won't be in a relationship with one woman: but that doesn't erase their sexuality or their past experiences.

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, maybe your friends really did just making it up to be cool, but it annoys me a bit that that's the knee-jerk assumption everyone seems to make about today's questioning/bi-curious young people. Whom does it help to immediately dismiss and invalidate them?

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2024 11:01 PM

R38 r39 r40 r41

by Anonymousreply 48May 17, 2024 11:03 PM

R46 btw I'm impressed you had a significant number of boys and girls willing to be open about being non-straight in your high school 20 years ago. Where are you from? In my school that would never have happened.

by Anonymousreply 49May 17, 2024 11:03 PM

R49

by Anonymousreply 50May 17, 2024 11:04 PM

R47, I dunno. Women seem to have more "fairweather" and fickle sexual orientation. Whereas, I've never known a single gay guy in my life to reverse his sexuality and then end up with a woman.

It's much likelier that if a boy say he's gay, he's actually gay (because he's certainly not saying it to be trendy or popular). Can't say the same with females.

I went to public school in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 51May 17, 2024 11:05 PM

R50 Hi Mr Block I guess we're going to keep this charade going are we? Wipe down your keyboard after you are done.

R51 Ah, ok, I could see that happening in LA (by reputation, I've never been).

by Anonymousreply 52May 17, 2024 11:08 PM

Isn't this what we wanted? A more sexually fluid culture? If so, not everyone will be 100% straight or 100% gay. It is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2024 11:10 PM

[quote] A more sexually fluid culture?

Not if people are doing it just to be a part of the bandwagon though.

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2024 11:11 PM

[quote] It's honestly not as widespread as the right wingers try to make out.

Because your nieces and nephews aren’t. Fuck off, tard.

by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2024 11:24 PM

It’s the “in” thing to be “out” now.

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2024 11:44 PM

Blocking someone doesn’t punish them or hurt them in any way. If you have blocked someone and still want to read what they say, just don’t block them. Polluting threads with your OCD detritus is a sign of a disordered mind.

by Anonymousreply 57May 18, 2024 12:35 PM

It seems like every other girl under 30 is either dating or open to dating a woman

by Anonymousreply 58May 18, 2024 12:46 PM

[quote]Most of them are saying they’re Queer for progressive clout.

And they will disappear and claim that they are Christian heterosexuals if Trump is elected. That's how strong their convictions are.

by Anonymousreply 59May 18, 2024 6:22 PM

R57 r59

by Anonymousreply 60May 18, 2024 6:45 PM

Young women may be dating women but they rarely end up married to them despite men being a riskier long term option.

by Anonymousreply 61May 18, 2024 6:49 PM

Those fake queer Gen Z bitches are pathetic and will inevitably do more harm than good when they revert to their straight innate frau tendencies

by Anonymousreply 62May 18, 2024 6:58 PM

What r1 said. For many of these youngsters, it's basically cosplaying with the nonbinary/genderqueer/pronouns etc. bullshit. It's exhausting.

When it comes to "queer" percentages, what should only be counted are the number of people who are actually biologically homosexual. We will never get a definitive answer to that, however, because there are so many variables.

by Anonymousreply 63May 18, 2024 7:01 PM

R61 “lesbian until graduation”?

by Anonymousreply 64May 18, 2024 7:03 PM

R64 More like attention-whore needs attention and wants to claim part of the queer rainbow for cred

by Anonymousreply 65May 18, 2024 7:05 PM

Yeah R64. Nothing’s changed.

by Anonymousreply 66May 18, 2024 7:14 PM

R63, I don't believe any boy who comes out as anything other than straight is fibbing.

by Anonymousreply 67May 18, 2024 9:41 PM

R63, hardly anyone identifies as non-binary.

If you actually read the article, it's bisexual identity that has increased the most

by Anonymousreply 68May 18, 2024 9:55 PM

R56, not for men. Just ask the guys getting beaten up for being "fags"

by Anonymousreply 69May 18, 2024 9:56 PM

R33 sounds like a conservative

"Everyone who identifies as anything other than straight just wants attention!"

Conservative said the same thing about gays

by Anonymousreply 70May 18, 2024 9:58 PM

R25, what's the point of that? I know straight women who don't like blowing guys but they're still straight

by Anonymousreply 71May 18, 2024 9:58 PM

Just look at Hollywood and music industry. There's a ton of young women dating women. And not just very young. There are older ones that dated men all their lives, are now dating women, even leaving their husbands for women.

by Anonymousreply 72May 18, 2024 9:59 PM

R18, I don't know any non-binary people. Does my anecdotal experience count more than yours?

Once again, not very many people identify as trans or non-binary or pansexual or whatever. It's bisexual identity that has increased the most

by Anonymousreply 73May 18, 2024 10:00 PM

R72 oh God. L Chat has entered the chat. Newsflash: nobody cares about female sexuality here. Back to guys, the ones who matter please

by Anonymousreply 74May 18, 2024 10:07 PM

R74 Then don't open a thread about it, you bloody imbecile

by Anonymousreply 75May 18, 2024 10:11 PM

Back to the young guys, who actually matter unlike you R75

by Anonymousreply 76May 18, 2024 10:15 PM

R76 "back"? Most of the conversation so far has been about young females. You really are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2024 10:18 PM

Nobody cares about a bunch of overweight bitches with purple hair and mustaches. Except to make fun of them R77

by Anonymousreply 78May 18, 2024 10:31 PM

R78 Yes,but everyone is crazy about boys in floral dresses (cough Harry Styles) or boys with dangling earrings that call themselves queer, who will never in their lifetime come close to a dick that is not their own. Those bitches shouldn't be mocked, they deserve our praise for being so brave and stunning.

by Anonymousreply 79May 18, 2024 10:43 PM

Some of you sour old queens simply LIVE to be outraged at every little thing. Was there ever a time when you were considered the freak of nature? Were you ever the odd one out? Or were you just another bully who happened to like the cock?

You should try going to a nice, judgmental church. You'd fit right in.

by Anonymousreply 80May 20, 2024 3:17 PM

[quote]Some of you sour old queens simply LIVE to be outraged at every little thing. Was there ever a time when you were considered the freak of nature? Were you ever the odd one out? Or were you just another bully who happened to like the cock?

Simply homosexual men, a tale as old as time.

by Anonymousreply 81May 20, 2024 4:22 PM

R81 So gay men have the bodies of hetero dudes, but the black hearts of the biggest cunts on the playground.

by Anonymousreply 82May 20, 2024 6:33 PM

Not really r82. You need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 83May 20, 2024 6:58 PM

r80 there is snot on your septum piercing. You might want to clean it and dye your hair a different shade of blue.

We were considered a "freak of nature" as you say but not because we wanted to be as you do. We were judged on who we loved, not who we cosplayed as. Your generation INVITES being victims of hate crimes so that it validates you as a "freak of nature." Our generation was dying while being tied to fence poles after being beaten to death by homophobes in the middle of the night.

See the difference?

by Anonymousreply 84May 20, 2024 7:54 PM

It's amazing how successful rightwing propaganda can be... I'm a teacher, and have been working with young people for nearly forty years. In all that time, the number of gay/straight/trans students has actually remained pretty constant. At least at the schools where I have taught. What has changed, and greatly, is how they are received by their peers. While it may be "fashionable" to be part of our alphabet city, being an ally is a downright social necessity. Younger people have no stomach for LGBTQ+ phobias. On the rare occasion when some boy makes a rude remark (and it's always a boy) the rest of the class shoots him down before I can get a word in edge-wise. I suppose right-wingers see all the young people huddled around the flags and banners and just assume they are all proclaiming a non-traditional sexual identity, when really they are just itching for a fight with anyone who dares to challenge their friends. I think this accounts for a lot of the inflated self-identification numbers -just a desire to mess with the rest of us.

As for OP's actual question, do they all come out? More and more do, but not everyone is fortunate to grow up in a safe place. It's a helluva lot easier to come out in California, or a big city, than it is in the Bible Belt and small-town America.

by Anonymousreply 85May 20, 2024 8:12 PM

R85 The only ones calling them "freaks" nowadays are angry Eldergays, like R84.

They fought for queer liberation, and this is what freedom looks like. The freedom to be who you are, love who you are, and dye your hair whatever the fuck color you want. These freedoms aren't hurting anyone, and they're allowing all manner of social outcasts to feel a little bit less alone in the world, but that still doesn't stop some people from picking on them.

There's a reason the rainbow, with all its colors, is our symbol. If you can't handle strangers who think differently or get piercings or fuck whoever they choose, then maybe you're the one with the problem.

by Anonymousreply 86May 20, 2024 8:17 PM

Being “queer” is the new SCENE. The LGBT community has been hijacked by a younger group of mostly young females who think being “queer” is like being goth or punk or emo.

There’s a look, there’s a style, there’s a lingo, it’s a scene.

It has nothing to do with sexual orientation and everything to do with collective surface ideology. Just like goth and emo.

What cheerleaders and football players in high school are identifying as “queer”? Why is it all socially awkward people who want to dye their hair purple and like anime?

by Anonymousreply 87May 20, 2024 8:32 PM

Queer is a slur.

by Anonymousreply 88May 20, 2024 8:33 PM

The other dead giveaway to validate my R87 point is the consumerism.

Females make up 80% of retail consumerism.

The explosion of “queer” consumerism in the mainstream is only pushed because it’s females who are buying it.

I remember Pride in my teens and in the 2000s. You got dressed up and swung around $2 little pride flags or a big one.

Today the rainbow merchandise is out of this world insane. And it’s all because it’s females who spend their money on it.

If Pride was a predominantly male oriented festival (or lesbian oriented as well), they wouldn’t be making rainbow earrings and socks and leggings and etc, foolishness.

by Anonymousreply 89May 20, 2024 8:46 PM

[quote] Most of them are born female.

R6 Where does it say that? When they say ...

[quote] Close to three in 10 Gen Z women, 28.5%, identify as LGBTQ+, compared with 10.6% of Gen Z men.

... , how many of these women have a dick?

by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2024 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!